Carey's 60g Rimless Cube Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
great build carey im super jelly!!!!
the aquascape looks great and i can see it comming to life
i also agree on the mated pair for the shrimp

I was very productive today, if i don't say so myself. lol

I had to run extension cords to the lights since they didn't reach to the interior of the cabinet. But got that all done, two strips mounted in the cabinet, got my light timers set up AND I got the ATO installed. :)

Just waiting on the skimmer and the vortech next week and that should be it until I add a biopellet reactor. On that front, I have zero room in the stand now so I will have to sit the reactor in the 5g ato reservoir. Not ideal but it will do.

I took some pictures of course of the finished product. I'm attaching the pictures with the white lights only and with BOTH whites and blues on. I'm starting to think I have too much blue with them both on. Not sure what to do to rectify that though, maybe add a white strip of leds to the fixture? Or is it just me and it's not too blue? LOL Let me know...

Here are the shots with the final rockwork. Moved a couple a bit but I think i am happy for now with it. May change again once I start adding corals though, but for now looks to be alot of nice spots for corals. :)

And here are the pictures!
img_1907100_0_aaa8cf4f8d0fb319460d54f020ac91bd.jpg

img_1907100_1_d2b91c5797fd7d9a3190738f2d86aae5.jpg

img_1907100_2_8783188abe047c207ef7aed30bde862c.jpg

img_1907100_3_a007bac4ba612b6760a4b602ee6cf969.jpg

img_1907100_4_a100147e21f8ae2dae675a2554d1aab3.jpg

If it were me, I would probably keep the lights the way they are. :)
Just wondering, how come you want a mater pair of Fire Shrimp (as opposed to buying just two separately?). I had a Cleaner for a few months and then added another a few months later. :)

Can't wait to see the corals in fish in this awesome tank!

Loving it!! Are you putting in PH's too? I only see the return from the sump. The rock scape is too cool!

Love the rock scape. I honestly love blue light but I think its a tad bit too blue. Aquatraders sells a reef capable led strips that are waterproof fairly cheap so maybe down the road that could be an option for you? JMO, do whatever pleases your eye and im sure it'll be awesome :)

Thanks for the input guys! I was thinking one of those led strips from current or ecoexotic, nothing too fancy. lol I like the blue too, just seems sooo different with the blues off, and i can see more of the purple coralline. hehe

I was under the impression that the fire shrimp had to be a mated pair to co exist, cou;d be wrong on that though I guess. :)

Oh, almost forgot, I am getting a single vortech for the tank for the powerhead, just have to wait til payday on wednesday. :)

carey said:
Thanks for the input guys! I was thinking one of those led strips from current or ecoexotic, nothing too fancy. lol I like the blue too, just seems sooo different with the blues off, and i can see more of the purple coralline. hehe

I was under the impression that the fire shrimp had to be a mated pair to co exist, cou;d be wrong on that though I guess. :)

This is the one I meant. http://www.aquatraders.com/LED-Submersible-p/56221.htm I don't have experience with it though.

Bit the bullet and added the livestock from the biocube in today. There is now the following in this tank:
2 b&w clowns
1 citron goby
scooter
mandarin
yellow watchman goby
firefish
1 cleaner shrimp
1 peppermint shrimp

Got lucky with the firefish, he is in a rock like 24/7 but when we moved the rock out of the water he kinda just hung out on the bottom and a few shakes and he was in the tank. :)

Looks like they are all doing ok, the firefish was out more than in the biocube and the clowns are off exploring. The only ones I'm worried about are the watchman and the mandarin. I don't think they took too well to the move...hopefully they will be fine in the morning.

Also put in a handful of corals too, bunch of ricordia mushrooms, favia, brain, purple stylophora, my tiny blasto frag and some acans. I have everything on the sand bed for now but the stylo, figure I'll break them into the leds' slowly. :)

Awesome! I wouldn't worry about the fish, they are probably still acclimating to their new home. ;)

Pictures? LOL.

Here are a bunch of pictures I took last night with the blues on so it's not super clear. lol

The fish have seemed to settle in now, everyone ate this morning so thats a great sign. The watchman has turned back to a grey color from the dark grey he was right after the move. Also, the firefish is sooo much more social now, not sure if it;s cause the rock he lived in is gone or he just likes the room. hehe...

img_1910425_0_b2681e75c4971963a7c43b2cf2b6069c.jpg

img_1910425_1_85c725c09151929890528f30981069f4.jpg

img_1910425_2_7879e827b774877747722844cc2e1f38.jpg

img_1910425_3_ead7c3c01ddaed7180c9999538468a6b.jpg

img_1910425_4_fc3775e444cab5f3c92bd0aa7c18c2b3.jpg

img_1910425_5_405396a21c8cc22bb2b7f4e67f06b5ff.jpg

Those corals are great an the shrimp too!! Im glad you have everything fine now!! :)

Those corals are great an the shrimp too!! Im glad you have everything fine now!! :)

Thanks so much! I just threw a couple things in, hoping within a week or two to have more corals in and have them close to where they will be permanently. :)

Still have to move the fish that were in the 20g rimless tank that are now waiting it out in the 10g. lol

So still to go in will be:
yellow clown goby
green clown goby
neon goby
barnacle blenny
a single mushroom lol
a small toadstool

So far on the must buy list are the blue/green chromis and a chalk bass.

Back
Top Bottom