Carey's 90g FOWLR Build!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
thats tall for a stand. ill agree with the hight making the tank more viewable. i made my stand 36" tall for my 40b and love it.

I like the setup Carey. By the way I hope you don't have any electrician inspectors floating around with those cords. LOL, Looks like my living room at the moment. I'm thinking most Aquarists wouldn't pass any electrical/safety inspections hehehe.

Thanks guys!

I'm hoping to get that one section of electrical cords out of the way soon. Either find an electrician to install a socket or I'm gonna run the cords to the left from my bedroom. lol

Next hurdle is the sand and rock. I'm wondering after I put it all in how much ammonia I should dose up to make sure the system is ready for fish. I'm pretty sure I won't see a cycle with all the live rock but I wanted to dose to be sure. :) I was thinking up to 2ppm ammonia would do it.

how soon after you put the cured lr in will you put a fish in? i guess what im insinuating is, whats the difference of walking 5 feet with the lr before it gets wet again and you removing all the fish in the 125 and waiting a day to put them back in?

In my mind there isnt much difference at all really. The rock will be out of water for about 10-20 seconds while I run it across the living room LOL.

I'm hoping to be able to put fish in late this coming week or early the following week. I plan on putting 2 MAYBE 3 fish in at first, depends on if i am ordering them or not online. I hate paying the darn shipping! lol

i hate shipping too. la has a lot of fish i want.

are you going to wait to move the rock over to match when you get fish going in?

I was hoping to get the rock moved tonight. :-D Kinda depends on the boyfriend as I need his help to do the 125g water change which is when I figured would be the best time to get the rock out. I'm hoping a week or so with no fish will be fine, I suspect it will be ok. also not going to overload the bio filter with too many fish at once.

I know the rock from the 125g is good to go, whenever I've lost a fish or when the sea hare died i didn't even see a blip in the parameters.

ok im lost your a more experienced aquariust than i am. 1-2 weeks with no bioload seems like a longtime. i suppose dosing a cap here and there wouldnt hurt.

Wasn't very productive as far as getting the sand and rock in today. :-(

But I've tweaked my stocking list and have my first order of fish ready to go as soon as the tank is ready. It will be the following four fish. I choose based on purchase size and temperment

Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Orange Butterflyfish

Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Lemonpeel Angelfish

Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Two-line Monocle Bream

Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Bicolor Goatfish

What do you think? I believe that the 75lbs of live rock should be good for this initial stocking. Probably won't add any more fish for a couple weeks.

The rest of my stocking list will be a flame hawk and mostly small wrasses.

carey said:
Wasn't very productive as far as getting the sand and rock in today. :-(

But I've tweaked my stocking list and have my first order of fish ready to go as soon as the tank is ready. It will be the following four fish. I choose based on purchase size and temperment

Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Orange Butterflyfish

Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Lemonpeel Angelfish

Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Two-line Monocle Bream

Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Bicolor Goatfish

What do you think? I believe that the 75lbs of live rock should be good for this initial stocking. Probably won't add any more fish for a couple weeks.

The rest of my stocking list will be a flame hawk and mostly small wrasses.

How long are you going to wait before adding the fish?

i figure I'll have the tank filled with rock and the sand will be settled by Tuesday or so. I wasn't sure if i was going to dose the tank with ammonia beforehand or not, I'm pretty confident the tank will be able to take it. :)

I have those four fish in my shopping cart on live aquaria so once it's all settled I can just hit order.

These first four straight in the tank. I want the angle and butterfly to be as stress free as possible and I can monitor them in the 90g.

FINALLY! I have some rock in the tank. :-D About 70lbs or so from the 125g. It's all just helter skelter in the tank and I still have to add the sand. Hopefully will have some pictures to post tomorrow.

Anyone see anything wrong with my proposed first fish?

carey said:
FINALLY! I have some rock in the tank. :-D About 70lbs or so from the 125g. It's all just helter skelter in the tank and I still have to add the sand. Hopefully will have some pictures to post tomorrow.

Anyone see anything wrong with my proposed first fish?

Awesome! I can't wait for the cycle to be completed! I will enjoy the pictures tomorrow!

Here is the mess of rock in the 90g. LOL I used some pretty large pieces so it doesnt look like much. hehe....It does have alot of purple and pink coralline on it so hopefully it will spread a bit. Hoping to get some base rock in today as well as the sand. :)

I'm not sure if i want to dose the tank with ammonia or not, seems a bunch of snails and crabs hitched a ride over to the 90g from the 125g. I also moved a large rock that unfortunately has some Xenia on it, so I guess the 90g will have some coral. lol Since i don't have any sand I can also see all the pods that came over from the rock. Nice big fat juicy ones! hehe

If I get everything in the tank today I figure it will take about 2 days for all the sand to settle so it will be too late to order any fishies for this week. But I'm hopeful about getting some more life in the tank next week.

Also looks like I finally sold the 55g setup so I will be picking up some new cheap ebay lights for the tank. Gonna get the ones with a timer too so I don't have to mess with the strip timers, HATE those things. :)

img_1711351_0_2dc90602569e84aec2ed246bf7a2b590.jpg

Back
Top Bottom