Carey's 90g FOWLR Build!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
woot! i was thinking that. Kinda glad now I threw in all that extra rock a few months ago. I had hoped to start this tank with all base rock so I'd have no critters but I just don't think I can wait that long. lol

I think the first two fish i will put in will be the butterfly and the angel. Then wait til sometime in February to add anything else. At least thats the plan. It seems most of the fish i want I may be ordering from LA and it 's so much cheaper to get multiple fish at once what with their $35 shipping.

carey said:
woot! i was thinking that. Kinda glad now I threw in all that extra rock a few months ago. I had hoped to start this tank with all base rock so I'd have no critters but I just don't think I can wait that long. lol

I think the first two fish i will put in will be the butterfly and the angel. Then wait til sometime in February to add anything else. At least thats the plan. It seems most of the fish i want I may be ordering from LA and it 's so much cheaper to get multiple fish at once what with their $35 shipping.

Sounds awesome that the tank will cycle quickly! I can't wait!

You will still see a cycle just not as big as usual I would still force cycle it to be safe. I've moved a couple tanks with them only tore down for a couple hours and still see a mini cycle even with keeping the rock wet.

I've been moving my live rock from tank to tank over the last year. I've only actually cycled one time and that was with my very first 29g regular tank. I used established rock from a tank breakdown and ended up dosing up to like 20ppm ammonia. LOL It took about a week for it to cycle through that. :)

So should I dose up ammonia in this tank when I move the live rock over? It's only about 10 feet from the 125g to where the 90g will be so I don't expect any die off. Also using brand new sand too so that shouldnt cause any issues.

I am starting to get this setup ready and putting everything together btu have a couple questions....

I am going with a 2-3 inch sandbed, can I still lay down eggcrate on the bottom of the tank and add my sand adn rock, OR is that not enough sand to cover it properly?

And this is a silly one, but I can't get the collection cup off of the reef octopus skimmer I have. It has a gray plastic screw type nut/bolt thing under the cup. Anyone know what I'm talking about? lol

Thanks for the input everyone, makes me very happy as I get closer and closer to setup time!

Just waiting for this lady to come by tuesday to get the rock and then its tank moving time! lol The only thing left is to drill a hole for the overflow in the stand and that should be easy. Here's hoping anyways hehe...

carey said:
I've been moving my live rock from tank to tank over the last year. I've only actually cycled one time and that was with my very first 29g regular tank. I used established rock from a tank breakdown and ended up dosing up to like 20ppm ammonia. LOL It took about a week for it to cycle through that. :)

So should I dose up ammonia in this tank when I move the live rock over? It's only about 10 feet from the 125g to where the 90g will be so I don't expect any die off. Also using brand new sand too so that shouldnt cause any issues.

I am starting to get this setup ready and putting everything together btu have a couple questions....

I am going with a 2-3 inch sandbed, can I still lay down eggcrate on the bottom of the tank and add my sand adn rock, OR is that not enough sand to cover it properly?

And this is a silly one, but I can't get the collection cup off of the reef octopus skimmer I have. It has a gray plastic screw type nut/bolt thing under the cup. Anyone know what I'm talking about? lol

Thanks for the input everyone, makes me very happy as I get closer and closer to setup time!

Just waiting for this lady to come by tuesday to get the rock and then its tank moving time! lol The only thing left is to drill a hole for the overflow in the stand and that should be easy. Here's hoping anyways hehe...

I wouldn't worry about the rock either, I think everything will be fine since it is such a short difference. I hope all goes well when drilling the whole, good luck!

About the protein skimmer, they get stuck pretty easily. I usually just have to twist it really hard.

I would still cycle it save a mini cycle when you add fish and will help to establish the tank some

Is it Tuesday yet? :lol:

When Tuesday does come, do you plan on filling the tank with water and equipment too, or are you just moving it into place?

I still have to have my b/f drill the top of the stand but if all goes well I can have the tank setup and ready for water. I can't move any live rock until the water is in so I need to get the sand in first.

It's possible it will be setup by christmas. At least thats my goal. lol

I still have to have my b/f drill the top of the stand but if all goes well I can have the tank setup and ready for water. I can't move any live rock until the water is in so I need to get the sand in first.

It's possible it will be setup by christmas. At least thats my goal. lol

That would be awesome. I bet you're happy that you are this close to having it setup.

You have no idea! hehe...I can finally stop hanging out in the garage and staring at it. lol

I hope I get it done that quick, lots going on here. I'm getting an ipod today so I hope to download the aquaplanner app and work with that. i want to get all my tanks into it and organized. Then I get the controller next weekend. You have no idea how stoked I am for that!

My fish aspirations are all coming true! I hope to start the 60g in february or so, gotta get the 90g all situated by then

carey said:
You have no idea! hehe...I can finally stop hanging out in the garage and staring at it. lol

I hope I get it done that quick, lots going on here. I'm getting an ipod today so I hope to download the aquaplanner app and work with that. i want to get all my tanks into it and organized. Then I get the controller next weekend. You have no idea how stoked I am for that!

My fish aspirations are all coming true! I hope to start the 60g in february or so, gotta get the 90g all situated by then

So awesome! I can't wait for the 60g too!
Congrats on your iPod, I love my iPhone. Basically whenever I am on it I am on AA. Now you can get the AA app too!

I much prefer the pc interface for this site. :)

I've never had an apple product before so this touch ipod will be my first. I primarily wanted it for the aquaplanner app and to see if I like it for when my phone contract is up. I may go to the iphone. i currently have a droid x but the apple stuff is kinda neat, much better selection of apps. And i spent hours yesterday copying all my cd's to my itunes account so I;ll be all set.

I'm so lame sometimes LOL

carey said:
I much prefer the pc interface for this site. :)

I've never had an apple product before so this touch ipod will be my first. I primarily wanted it for the aquaplanner app and to see if I like it for when my phone contract is up. I may go to the iphone. i currently have a droid x but the apple stuff is kinda neat, much better selection of apps. And i spent hours yesterday copying all my cd's to my itunes account so I;ll be all set.

I'm so lame sometimes LOL

I would have to say that I like the computer interface too. You will love your iPod! Of course you are getting a biased opinion because I love apple stuff! If you have any questions, let me know, I am an apple geek. lol

I know this is off topic mods, just one question! LOL

How many songs can you fit on an 8gb ipod? I started with the cheapest model before I go crazy with it to just feel it out.

Back
Top Bottom