Carey's Final Reef Upgrade- 180g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My betta grouper hid for prob 3 weeks. It was a nightmare trying to coax him out. Now he just hovers. As for the tusk, my juvenile tusk made it over a week in the tank with 2 triggers (had no choice due to tank failure) so id say yours is a hardy lil guy

I caught the tusk out today for a few minutes when I fed and then he just went into the rocks and gone again.lol I really hope he gets used to the tank he is such a cool little fish.

I passed on the ev1000 skimmer, it would have been awesome to have but it would have had to sit outside the tank and the pump was external as well so it would have been more trouble than it was worth probably.

So, I have this money burning a hole in my pocket, lol, I was thinking of picking up one of those used sumps I was looking at awhile ago I'm also thinking that I want to do a slow move to the new tank so this way I can have both running at once and move things over slowly. This is also the time to decide if I want to add another tang or two since they will all be moving it should lessen the aggression.

So what tang(s) should I consider? The ones I have now are pretty aggressive so I don't need a mellow one but I don't want a monster either. I like the desjardini's, unicorns and of course the ever elusive white tailed tang ( which I will never find I think). I'm also wondering what else I should add. I definitely want some more blue reef chromis, I was thinking maybe 6-8 of them since the tank will be so large. I'm kinda thinking of a rabbit fish of some type as well. What says you? lol Any and all thoughts will considered as I am very open to suggestions and experiences you guys may have had with a particular fish.

I am very lightly stocked now with a yellow tang, blue tang, tomini tang, melanrus wrasse, pink spotted goby and a purple dottyback. So there will be plenty of room in this new tank. Just suggest do-able fish though, things like a sweetlips or groupers won't work as they will get too large even for this tank.

Thanks everyone, hoping to hear some good thoughts and suggestions. :)

I emailed them almost 3 years ago for that fish. LOL Still nothing. I still add my email every few months too, just in case.

Well that is just too bad... was hoping I stumbled upon a breakthrough! Either way, amazing looking fish. You don't have any of the sailfin body type tangs...why not try for a purple? Everyone wants a purple!

If I had the money for a purple I would probably get a chevron instead lol. I forgot to mention, a "cheaper" tang or other fish. :) Nothing too much over $100, preferably less than that.

hehe thanks greg....I know, thats why two more tangs are even iffy for me, that would be my max as far as tangs. lol

If a purple tang is one that youre considering, i picked mine up for $110 on live aquaria. It was on sale, down from 170 or 190

Yeah, I like the scopas but figured he would be a no go due to him and the yellow being almost the same, reason why I havent gotten a caribbean blue one lol. I want something colorful though if that helps, and under or around $100.

Its possible to have 2 from the same family. May take some work to get them there. My purple and yellow are ok together now.

Same shape, even with a different color, surgeonfish will spar. IMO, the most aggressive in my system are; clown, sailfin, yellow and the hippo.

I have a yellow and a purple together also. They are ok now, but for a while the yellow was torturing the purple relentlessly.

I also plan on re-introducing the tangs all at once to this bigger tank so that should help as well I am thinking. Since both the big tanks will be up at the same time I have the luxury of waiting until I am ready to move the tangs. I was thinking of adding all the "happy" fish first then waiting a few days and putting the tangs in.

Sound good?

I also contacted reefrocks.net and they are somewhat local to me so the guy said he can work out a deal on rock for me if I pick it up PLUS I get to cherry pick the rocks I want. I was planning on doing a whole new rockscape, nothing like the stacked I have now so that should throw the tangs off too. lol I am gonna put like 150lbs maybe 200lbs of rock in the new tank with some old cycled rock so I shouldnt see any spikes or cycle.

I also plan on re-introducing the tangs all at once to this bigger tank so that should help as well I am thinking. Since both the big tanks will be up at the same time I have the luxury of waiting until I am ready to move the tangs. I was thinking of adding all the "happy" fish first then waiting a few days and putting the tangs in.

Sound good?

I also contacted reefrocks.net and they are somewhat local to me so the guy said he can work out a deal on rock for me if I pick it up PLUS I get to cherry pick the rocks I want. I was planning on doing a whole new rockscape, nothing like the stacked I have now so that should throw the tangs off too. lol I am gonna put like 150lbs maybe 200lbs of rock in the new tank with some old cycled rock so I shouldnt see any spikes or cycle.

Cary,

I think a big trick to keeping multiple tangs is to lay out the rock work to have lots of escape caves and tang sized tunnels. If a tiff starts, the looser needs an escape route or will become damaged. They also need them for safe sleeping quarters. This will help reduce stress, the number one killer of tangs.

Today was a big day! Went to look at a setup and it's "the one"!

So I will be picking up my 180g tank and toys this week. The tank is drilled in the corners, it comes with old school halides, they look like huge mogul bulbs, has 2 ballasts for the lightds and it has 2 VHO bulbs as well. There is a custom sump, looks like a 55g tank and a skimmer, a g2 ASM. Skimmer will have to do for now but it should be fine. ALso comes with the return pumps and other pumps. ALl for $500 which I think is a great deal. Oh forgot to mention the like 300lbs of live rock he has too. lol The setup has TWO canopies, one that isnt too high and the larger taller one you see.
My first question I guess is should I use the black stand I bought already or go with the walnut finish complete set? I figured I could paint the canopy black, not sure how the paint will adhere though. Has anyone done that before and how did it work out?

There will be a ton more updates as now we have a tank! LOL

Back
Top Bottom