Carey's Happy Planted Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
carey said:
LOL. You never know with me, maybe I will try again one day. Glad I only tried it on a 10g. :-D

I may go fish looking today, see if I can get any ideas.

Thanks for following!

Haha Omg I love goin to my Lfs even with no real purpose!! Haha

I went in and took all the dying mushy plants out. They disinegrated when I was taken them out. Epic Fail. LOL

SO here is where this tank is now at, back to start pretty much.

img_1384537_0_27de3249e6840cb1411f1ce86d225034.jpg

I think you should give plants another go. Honestly, one failed attempt isn't enough to warrant quitting IMO. I failed with plants several times before getting to the point that I feel like I can sustain plants. The tank you have is fine for plants. Let me show you my first success with plants. It was a 10g with a standard 15w T8 with a $2 bulb from walmart. PFS, a piece of driftwood, and a lot of algae (i left my lights on for 12 hours lol).

Before you say anything, this tank is hiddeous. But... it just goes to show that with patience and trial and error, you can succeed.

img_1384582_0_dd93639e8e7d2e98097158eb9b2d76fc.jpg

That's HM (baby tears), what many consider to be a higher light plant. It is a little straggly because of the lower lighting, but still..

Wow, that looks awesome. If i could have a tank like that I'd be happy.LOL

I'm going to the store later, maybe I'll start with a piece of driftwood and see what I'm feeling. I just feel crappy for my first attempt ending like this. My tank is covered in a yellow gooze now after taking out the plants.

It just takes time and patience. This tank has been taken down for over a year now, but this was one of my early attempts at plants. Start simple and work your way up. That's the best way to do it IMO. Get some driftwood, anubias, java fern, java moss. If you kill those, then yeah, plants probably aren't a good idea. They'll live in a closet with a night light haha. But, as you see them start to grow and get your plant confidence up, get some more plants, just one or two at a time. Slowly, you'll have a nice planted tank that you can be proud of.

I think you have me convinced to try again. I'll try with those 3 plants you mentioned.

Was anachris(sp?) a bad first plant choice?

mfdrookie516 said:
I think you should give plants another go. Honestly, one failed attempt isn't enough to warrant quitting IMO. I failed with plants several times before getting to the point that I feel like I can sustain plants. The tank you have is fine for plants. Let me show you my first success with plants. It was a 10g with a standard 15w T8 with a $2 bulb from walmart. PFS, a piece of driftwood, and a lot of algae (i left my lights on for 12 hours lol).

Before you say anything, this tank is hiddeous. But... it just goes to show that with patience and trial and error, you can succeed.

That's HM (baby tears), what many consider to be a higher light plant. It is a little straggly because of the lower lighting, but still..

Are those ambulia as ur backdrop! I love how dense it is! But I agree! Its alot of trail and error :)

Do blyxa dense up like baby tears?

I think you have me convinced to try again. I'll try with those 3 plants you mentioned.

Was anachris(sp?) a bad first plant choice?

No, anacharis is a pretty easy to grow plant... but some people never have any luck with it. I had some in another 10g that got huge... here's a pic of some that got pretty long:
img_1384638_0_aa83183dc3dfbb083febde4dfbd20790.jpg

Are those ambulia as ur backdrop! I love how dense it is! But I agree! Its alot of trail and error :)

Do blyxa dense up like baby tears?
Yeah, that was ambulia. Blyxa won't dense up quite like baby tears, but if you give it some time, it'll fill in nicely.

Well I added some stuff to my happy tank. :)

I'm in the market for some small fish to add, but here's a shot of what it looks like for now. I think it looks much better.

img_1403154_0_adcac6a7e9c53e3c234b93a58cea9da8.jpg

carey said:

I'm in the market for some small fish to add, but here's a shot of what it looks like for now. I think it looks much better.

Looks good! Real or live plants?

Homedog98 said:
Looks good! Real or live plants?

Real or live? Redundant! Haha...Carey the tank looks great! Love that you can see your SW :)

carey said:

Oo OMG encore!! Looking good! :) glad u ain't given up yet!

U can increase the number of neon tetra! Bigger number will encourage ur neon to be more active.

I just picked up 6 more neons. They are half the size of the ones I have and not as blue or red. :-( Guess I can't complain for $1 each. I also added some more fake plants for now to give them something to swim around. :)

carey said:
I just picked up 6 more neons. They are half the size of the ones I have and not as blue or red. :-( Guess I can't complain for $1 each. I also added some more fake plants for now to give them something to swim around. :)

Are they neons or green neons? That could be why they aren't as red... :)

Heres' a picture of what it looks like now. I'm so much more pleased than before. LOL

Now if I could only have live plants....maybe when I get used to the fw again I can try.

Thanks everyone!

img_1406081_0_c9f503d0b1fd151e927672f618094681.jpg

Back
Top Bottom