Cat, or kitten, with fish tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

trennamw

Aquarium Advice Addict
I tried to put this in general area but it won't let me ... forgive my putting it in getting started.

We are getting cats this weekend. Or kittens. I'm leaning toward adult cats for several reasons but then begin to think, no start with kittens so it's normal for their entire lives to not try to get into the fish tank. When they are tiny they can't even try (and the angelfish might even look scary), so less chance when they're bigger?

There are lots of good fish viewing places for them, the stand on the smaller tank is secured to the wall, the 56 gallon is quite tall and well lidded with no local jumping points.

But an adult cat could go straight for it and find a way in the minute I leave.

Thoughts? Adopting an adult serves a greater need, is cheaper, and it's easier to tell what kind of personality they have. But the inability to get in the aquarium on day 1 may be critical.

I did let go of the idea of adopting this beautiful, sweet, special needs adult cat ... he's FLV+ and declawed so must be inside, which I can provide, but is a Bengal which apparently LOVE water!

It may depend on the cat? I don't know much about them.

But, FWIW, in my first apartment I had a pair of 20 gallon aquariums on a metal stand, and my roommate had an adult cat. Tanks had those plastic kit hoods on them. Cat'd get on top of one of them and drink out of the filter, but never went after the fish. A layer of crumpled plastic wrap laid over the top discouraged the drinking, and she lost interest in the whole tank.

I have my tank on a stand in my living room and I find my cats like watching the fish just like me. They'll meow at them sometimes and put both front paws up on the stand. They don't try to get in though.
I used to keep my tank on my dresser in my room that the cats could get on. A couple times the first week one cat jumped up on the dresser and just looked at them. Still he never really tried to get in. As long as you have a lid the cats probably won't be able to get in anyway. Of course if they jump on the lid that could be bad.

All cats are different, we have 2, one was a kitten and one was older when I fired up the tanks years back. I have always had glass lids so rooting around for fish with their paws was never an issue. The older cat showed no interest, the kitten was very interested.. in... drinking the tank water! And lying on the warm lights. Whenever I caught her in the act she had knocked the filter cover off to have a sip or would just be sprawled out across the led bar. No real problem I guess?? Yes! Freaking cat hair in the tanks, hated it, pretty sure it cost me a few impellers too. Now I have a cat-free fish room and all is well. You can't train them to stay away, well you can but who's got that much time and patience. I'd try to make it highly inconvenient for them to get comfy up close to the tanks. Tin foil seems to keep them off stuff. Make little sharp dimples and they won't know what the heck is going on.. yah.. I know cats..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

When I leave the door open to the fish rooms the cats and dogs will wander through.
All will drink from tanks if they can....No harm that I can see?
I used to put a chair right in front of my 180 for a cat now gone...He would sit and play/swipe at my clown loaches! They are bigger then mice so ???:fish2:
Watch for fat cats on cheesy thin lids! They like the heat of the lights as Brook mentioned...
Look who wandered in....It's Melo thinking he is sneaky...:angel:

Thanks everyone!

My 14 gallon rimless bow front is the main worry, no lid and right by a couch and recliner. I don't see them wanting to eat the fish I just see curiosity going a little awry. Landing in the tank, tearing plants out ... cat hair in the tank isn't one I thought of ... (reminds me to add new hepa filters to my cat supply list ...)

I've got two cats (about 4 years old) and they generally aren't that interested in my tank. They were quite excited when I first added fish, but other than that they couldn't care less it seems. One of them loves chasing the water in the Python when I do water changes, but other than that they don't seem too interested.

I wouldn't be too worried about it. I would just try and take obvious precautions: try and get a lid on the tank, make sure the tank isn't somewhere the cats can easily get to it (e.g., by climbing something else and jumping into/on the tank), and you'll probably be fine.

I have 2 cats, lots of tanks, some covered, some not. They don't seem to care whatsoever about the fish. All cats are different I guess is all I can say.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Older cats in my experience give less mind to fish tanks than kittens I've dealt with. Kittens want everything that moves, older cats find movement to be old news, at least in my experience. I'd say go with an older one

Sent from my SM-G930T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

One of my cats, who was a street rescue of about 6 months old when we got him, loves the fish tank. He likes to lie above the light where its warm, sometimes he'll pat at them through the glass (though not often) and he likes to watch me feed them. Thing is, when we initially got the tank and it was all new to him he went after a fish while the lid was open, got his leg wet and ran off. Now he'll stick his nose nearby but he won't put his feet near it. Maybe let the cat/kitten experience getting a foot wet (ideally with no fish on there and always supervised) and they'll naturally want to avoid a repeat? Hit and miss though, I'd suggest getting a secure lid for the safest way to keep cats and fish out of trouble.

Brooksters tinfoil suggestion sounds like a good one too (nicking it for my other tanks)

If you're getting a rescue, esp if its older, the shelter might know if its particularly inclined to water? We have a Siberian who is supposed to love water but he doesn't hold true to that.

Back
Top Bottom