Catfish Eating Rocks??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

maro1107

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
We have an 18 inch marble catfish we got a couple weeks ago who has been doing fine. Today when I check on him I noticed that his stomach is huge and looks like he may be eating rocks. You can see bumps here and there throughout the stomach. I'm worried about him and of course it's too late to call the fish store tonight. Can anyone help me? Have you ever heard of this before? Could it be something else?

Thank you for your help!

18"? 8O What size is your tank?

As for what it could be it could be many things. What are your parameters, does he act any differently, any other symptoms? Is it only today that his stomach is huge or has it been getting that way over a while?

We have a 135 gallon tank with an arrowana that's about 20 or 22 inches, a pleco that's about 10 inches and then the catfish. I went and checked on the catfish again and his stomach has gone down. Do they maybe store them and spit them out. This is my first catfish so I may be worrying for nothing. His behavior is otherwise normal, swimming around, etc. I tested the tank and everything is in the normal range also.

I'll try and get a clear photo of them and post tomorrow. The catfish likes to hide a lot so it may be tricky.

I honestly don't know why a catfish would hold gravel and spit it out later. But then again I have never had a catfish anywhere near that large! I'm glad to hear his stomach is going down.

hmmm that is a strange one? Maybe the rocks/gravel are covered with algae and that's why he is eating them. Or maybe it's just one of those things.....like finding lego people in my dog's poop :p Try putting some zucchini and peas in the tank 1-2 a week and maybe that will help, at the very least peas will help aid his digestion If he keeps doing it you could always replace the gravel with large river rocks. I have a severum who picks up gravel in her mouth and moves it to a different part of the tank and then spits it out but to the best of my knowledge she isn't actually swallowing the rocks 8O

I'd love to see a picture of your tank as well.

Back
Top Bottom