Catfish for 55 gallon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Goldfish loach boy

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok so I want a new catfish for my 55 gallon, I need one from petsmart, here is the list
Silver tipped shark
Pictus cat
Pangasius catfish
Eclipse catfish
African feather fin catfish
Striped peacock eel
Which one is the best? Thanks!

Angelfish, tetras of the large kind, scissor tail rasboras, kuhli loaches, a striped Raphael catfish, rainbow fish, mollies and platys

I don't recommend the eclipse. They eat everything. I'm not sure about the rest.

Ok, so I guess the eclipse is out of the list, shame it was the one I wanted the most

Can you make a list of the quantity of fish you have so we can see where your stocking is?

1 angelfish

5 scissor tail rasboras
5 red eye tetras
5 black tetras
2 mollies
1 platy
2 rainbow fish
1 striped Raphael catish
1 fiddler crab
8 kuhli loaches

Just one. And you won't be able to keep it for its lifespan in a 55g. They are very active swimmers at night, and they are territorial- esp with other synos.

How about channels, blues or flatheads? (Just joking) I think the upside down catfish would be cool. Would you consider them? OS.

:facepalm: yea those are found at petsmart!
I have been looking into those, I like them, but they need a group, and at 10 dollars each, kind of expensive for me

If you can find south american bumblebee catfish those would be nice. Most of the catfish you listed are highly predatory or would out grow your tank. The pangasius is a monster so don't even think about it. The silver tip will need saltwater when it is fully mature if I'm thinking of the right species.

Ok, those are ignored

Can I add one featherfin? Or too much risk?
You have no idea how much I want a bumble bee cat and a banjo cat, but too expensive!
Any other options?

Have you looked into plecos? If you have plenty of hiding areas, a rubberlip pleco would be beautiful. A zebra pleco would be nicer but I'm assuming you want to be realistic.

Hah, man, I barely earn 60 dollars a week, I would love a zebra pleco, but I think I'm a few cents off to get one :p
I want a pleco, but either three small ones, or one kind of large one, will a sailfin pleco be ok
Or even though, once it gets to be like 10 inches I'll sell it

A pleco that size would produce a lot of waste. I wouldn't risk it. Plus it could bother your Raphael catfish

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom