Catfish??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

em_witt

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have 2 Qs....

1. Is their a type of catfish I could put in a 75 gal discus tank setup?? Besides Corys....

2. My friend wants a catfish too... He has a 29gal with neon tetras. Black neon tetras. Mollies. 2 swordtails. And a pleco

What type of cats would u reccomend for these tanks??

1. You could possibly have a plecostomous if you feed him. Otocinclus is another option.

2. Tank is about stocked to the max. Note that pleco is a catfish.

bettaowner said:
1. You could possibly have a plecostomous if you feed him. Otocinclus is another option.

2. Tank is about stocked to the max. Note that pleco is a catfish.

I have a pleco....2 ABNs....I was thinking of something more like Pictus. Eclipse.catfish Or the silver tipped shark from petsmart

Pictus need to be kept in a group and are very fast moving in a tank.

How about a featherfin cat?

The Pictus might stress the daylight out of the discus. They do not sit still and love to chase each other around the tank. I think they're awesome but the are more suited for a community tank.

For the 75 I think 2 Featherfins would be perfect. And for the 29, 3 Bumble Bee Catfish would probably work. Whatever catfish you decide on make sure to get at least 2!

LyndaB said:
75, too big and requires too much cruising space for a smaller tank.

I'm sry.... That doesn't make any sense. The 75 us too big for the cat? The cat needs more cruising space? Or less?

It needs a 75, it's too big for a smaller tank as it requires too much cruising space.

Whatever catfish you decide on make sure to get at least 2!

I respectfully disagree. Just like shark species, there are some catfish species that do best if kept as a sole specimen.

What kind?? Eclipse, Pictus, Bumble Bee, Featherfin, Cories, and Upside Down Catfish all like to be in schools.

Experience has shown me that my own featherfin appreciates being the only featherfin in the tank. Most of the featherfin keepers I know say the same thing. I do know that there are other synodontis species that do prefer groups.

Oh I've seen videos on YouTube of 2 Featherfins and it looked like they were best buds following eachother around the tank. But you probably know better than me...

LyndaB said:
Experience has shown me that my own featherfin appreciates being the only featherfin in the tank. Most of the featherfin keepers I know say the same thing. I do know that there are other synodontis species that do prefer groups.

+1 I can vouch for this. I added a second feather fin to my tank a while back, and my other featherfin had staked claim to the tank and bullied him to the point that I had to return the new one.

vanimal said:
Oh I've seen videos on YouTube of 2 Featherfins and it looked like they were best buds following eachother around the tank. But you probably know better than me...

There ARE some cases where they will buddy up, but I think that in those cases the cats were added at the same time.

Yes I got one Eclipse without knowing I should've gotten 2. But I haven't got another because they have to be added at the same time.

There is a difference between schooling and shoaling fish, I think the schooling term gets thrown around rather loosely. Fish that are social and enjoy company of others are shoaling, if they all act in unison as if they were one then they are schooling. That's how I define it anyway. I don't think there any catfish that must be in a school or shoal in order to thrive, but there are many that do seem to enjoy the social aspect of having more of their kind to interact with.

Back
Top Bottom