Catfish??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think so but if you only get one it'd end up like mine. Mine only comes out at night and I rarely see him. Here he is, he stays in this plant ALL day till its completely dark out. Ill post a more recent pic once I get home.

ForumRunner_20120712_121737.jpg

vanimal said:
I think so but if you only get one it'd end up like mine. Mine only comes out at night and I rarely see him. Here he is, he stays in this plant ALL day till its completely dark out. Ill post a more recent pic once I get home.

Cool!!! How big is it? If u had a chose would u get 2 more?

About 4 inches and yeah but they have to be added at the same time so its to late now ): they are much more active in groups.

View attachment 106101

My featherfin used to hide all the time, too. I know they're "supposed" to be nocturnal. That said, I wanted to enjoy him. So I changed my tank feeding habits. I would take some tank water and garlic guard in a 1/4 cup container, then put the food in that to soak for a minute. Then, I'd swish the container in the tank and the food would go flying everywhere through the water. After maybe 3 times of feeding this method, my featherfin came out to join the other fish in trying to catch his food. Now, he's out all the time and will come to my hand in the tank.

I think 3 is perfect but remember Eclipse Cats get big but a 75 with no other bottom feeders would be perfect.

They would just have less space but remember once they reach full size fish like Cories and some kinds of Tetras can get eaten.

vanimal said:
They would just have less space but remember once they reach full size fish like Cories and some kinds of Tetras can get eaten.

Then I might want to rethink this idea....I was planning on getting neons. Cardinals. Black neons. And maybe some serpes(spelling)

*serpae* and I would honestly stay away from cats like pictus, raphael, eclipse, especially those "silver tipped sharks" as these are brackish to full marine and get up to 3-4 ft long, irridescent sharks, etc etc. Look into porthole catfish, they are a smaller, south american (if i remember correctly) species that maxes out at like 4" and are quite peaceful. An eclipse would be WAY too active for the discus to sleep, and if i were you, I'd rather have my discus happy then a catfish

Get 3 Bumble Bee catfish they are different and more unique than cories and they max out at 3 inches.

vanimal said:
Get 3 Bumble Bee catfish they are different and more unique than cories and they max out at 3 inches.

That's severely unspecific information, as there are several similar species of bumblebee cats. The ones you're referring to are south American bumblebees, microglanis iheringi. This is why scientific names are crucial. Pseudomystus siamensis are also referred to as "bumblebee catfish", but are from Asia and max out at 6".

He could get either species in a 75 but the SA ones are much more common and he could get more of them. Also the one in the picture I posted is a SA BBC.

That's not my point. I'm trying to say that when using certain information like size, it's best to be as specific about the species at hand as possible. Just because you or I know which one it is doesn't mean that the OP or even future readers would know that ;)

I honestly think cories are the best option for the discus, Brochis Cories get rather large and are a very nice emerald colour. They also do nicely in a group of around 6-8. I think all types of the larger catfish may just be too active for the discus and stress them out.

get some polka dot or yoyo loaches, they are peaceful as heck and stay pretty small. polka dot loaches are usually sold under angiculus botia or burmese border loaches and i recomend them over the yoyos because i have three and they are easier to find in stores.

Jason7894561230 said:
I honestly think cories are the best option for the discus, Brochis Cories get rather large and are a very nice emerald colour. They also do nicely in a group of around 6-8. I think all types of the larger catfish may just be too active for the discus and stress them out.

I think I will do that instead....

Back
Top Bottom