Causes of fin rot other than water conditions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tropical

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I noticed a few days ago that my GBR's fins were missing at the ends, on his top, tail, and bottom fins. I assumed it was fin rot, and treated with melafix. I tested the water, and it's fine, 0 ammonia & nitrite, 10 nitrites. I got new fish food just incase that was the cause. Anyone have any idea of what else could cause this?

In a 20 long tank it's just him and 8 neon tetras.

Tropical said:
I noticed a few days ago that my GBR's fins were missing at the ends, on his top, tail, and bottom fins. I assumed it was fin rot, and treated with melafix. I tested the water, and it's fine, 0 ammonia & nitrite, 10 nitrites. I got new fish food just incase that was the cause. Anyone have any idea of what else could cause this?

In a 20 long tank it's just him and 8 neon tetras.

Sometimes fin rot can happen with good water conditions, and is usually saprolegnia fungus or a pseudomonas bacteria if its not due to nipping. But in can also sometimes be caused by very hard water or concurrently with a rapidly rising pH after water changes. Do you see any redness around the affected area? This would normally indicate a bacteria.

Back
Top Bottom