Center brace?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flitabout

Aquarium Advice Addict
While I was doing my water change I bumped my center brace and it broke right at the center.:nono: I dryed everything up and taped it with clear heavy duty packing tape in 4 places to make sure it's a least somewhat stable.
So what do I need to do to permantly fix it? The tank is a 37g tall.

Woah. I would maybe get some silicone and put it in between where it cracked and then get hot glue or super glue and rub some of that on top and sides of where it broke

I am just afraid that the silicone will have to much stretch. I did some research and I think what I am going to try to do is drill a hole on either side and screw a strip of plexy glass in between.
The way this cracked was absolutely rediculous! It was right on a seam in the middle! Why there is a seam in the middle of this thing is beyond me! It never struck me to look at the center support. I am just praying it can hold until this is fixed. I have a bad feeling that I am going to need to buy a whole new tank.

Woah. I would maybe get some silicone and put it in between where it cracked and then get hot glue or super glue and rub some of that on top and sides of where it broke

That's not going to work.

Since your tank is so tall, there is a lot of pressure on that glass. IMO your best bet is to replace the entire top frame. There is nothing remotely enjoyable about removing and replacing trim, but it's better than a broken tank. If you know the manufacturer you should be able to contact them for the replacement part.

If your tank is less than a year old, it may be under warranty. Probably won't be covered, but it might be worth checking with the store that sold it to you.

That's not going to work.

Since your tank is so tall, there is a lot of pressure on that glass. IMO your best bet is to replace the entire top frame. There is nothing remotely enjoyable about removing and replacing trim, but it's better than a broken tank. If you know the manufacturer you should be able to contact them for the replacement part.

If your tank is less than a year old, it may be under warranty. Probably won't be covered, but it might be worth checking with the store that sold it to you.

Just curious here but wouldnt it be easier and simpler to cut the center brace about an inch from the edge and then screw a piece of plexiglass onto the nubs?

With all the stress on two screws, I'd imagine the plastic would crack at some point. But I don't know for sure.

With all the stress on two screws, I'd imagine the plastic would crack at some point. But I don't know for sure.

I was thinking he could do say 2 screws per side and then seal the whole thing with silicone.

I was planning on getting a roughly 12 x 2in plexy strip and doing the hole a close to the frame as possible. I have take around 15g of water out to relieve some of the pressure. Here are pics.

I don't know if you can see it but that is the best I can get.

The brace is compromised now regardless of what is used to patch it together. It won't hold the pressure that it is designed to hold. You would be better off removing it and siliconing in a piece of acrylic cut to fit. All in all, properly replacing it with the right part is easiest and safest. JMHO

I would personally take another piece of metal and run it across the whole brace, screwing it in every couple inches.

Petsmart is going to replace the whole tank!!!!!! I will head down tomorrow and get a new one so I guess this means that it's time to dirt the tank!!!! Now to get the 9 million fry out of the tank

Petsmart is going to replace the whole tank!!!!!! I will head down tomorrow and get a new one so I guess this means that it's time to dirt the tank!!!! Now to get the 9 million fry out of the tank

Sweet deal!

So glad to hear this. I assume the tank was still under warranty, then?

Replacing the trim would have been your safest option, but it quite frankly really sucks to get the old trim off. Glad you don't have to bother.

I would have tried to replace it but I was afraid that I was going to break the glass getting the silicone off of the old one. Silver lining is that I am going to get my new canister and I get to dirt the tank like I have been wanting to do. I was going to wait until the babies were bigger but I guess there is no time like the present! I also have a count on the babies. Seventy freakin two!!! I no longer feel bad about the 4 babies I lost!

Reactions: HN1
Back
Top Bottom