Central Ohioans. Need help locating fish.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ketso

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just spent 4 hours at 3 different LFSs here in Columbus, Ohio trying to locate the different species of fish I have decided on for my tank. (5 hours! Hey! have to browse, right? LOL).

I was at the PetSmart, Petco, and Jacks Aquarium. Of the 5 species I am looking for, I have found 2. Here is my list.

Cherry Barbs - None have these.
Neon Tetras - It would appear that if you sell an aquarium, you are required to have these for sale.
Dwarf Rainbow -None have these.
Leopard Cory - None have these.
Bolivian Ram - I found these and thought they would be the most difficult.

If anyone from this area has any ideas as to where I might be able to locate the others, I would be very gracious.

I was going to post this on the Ohio board but I do not have the special access required.

Cool!

I have yet to make it to that store. It's on Sawmill, right? North or south of 270?

Anyway, thanks for the heads up!

I work at the Petland on Hamilton, prob not too far from you. We have plenty of cherry barbs, plenty of neons, don't carry dwarf rainbows, have a tank of mixed cory's, and don't have any bolivians at the moment.

Aquarium Adventure is at the junction of 161 and sawmill. I'm sure they have the entire list, I even saw the dwarf rainbows last week.

Aquarium Adventure had massive Bolivians & Cherry barbs when I was there last Friday. They almost always have a very good selection but can be a bit pricey at times.

They are having that 50% off sale till I believe Sunday but realize that they seem to offset that with raised prices on some stock.

im sure you have a meijers right? they usually have cherry barbs, and other species other places never sell for some reason.

at the toledo one ive see orange chromides, parrot fish, peacock eels, and a variety of cories, fish seem to range seasonally though

not that you'd drive to toledo, but gary's tropical fish usually has bolivians

evercl92 said:
I work at the Petland on Hamilton, prob not too far from you. We have plenty of cherry barbs, plenty of neons, don't carry dwarf rainbows, have a tank of mixed cory's, and don't have any bolivians at the moment.

Aquarium Adventure is at the junction of 161 and sawmill. I'm sure they have the entire list, I even saw the dwarf rainbows last week.
Thanks for the heads up! Ham. Rd. is not far at all as I'm in Mater City. If I mention your name, do I get a discount? :lol: jk
Jman17H said:
Aquarium Adventure had massive Bolivians & Cherry barbs when I was there last Friday. They almost always have a very good selection but can be a bit pricey at times.

They are having that 50% off sale till I believe Sunday but realize that they seem to offset that with raised prices on some stock.
Sure they are having a sale now. I'm not completely ready for fish and wont be for a few weeks. And dont all stores raise prices on some things while having a sale on others?

Thanks!
mugginns said:
http://www.kokosgoldfish.com/Ohio.html
Thank you muggins! I will be sure to stop in to Byerly's Aquarium sometime as well. I didn't even know that one existed.
hc8719 said:
im sure you have a meijers right? they usually have cherry barbs, and other species other places never sell for some reason.
Yes, we do have Meijers around here. I dont usually go there for much and had no idea they sold fish. Of course, I didnt know WallyWorld sold them either! (Wife does most of the shopping. I know! Typical man.) Thanks!

In short, thanks to everyone! I shouldn't have too many problems finding all the fish I want for my tank now. I can tell you 2 places I WONT buy fish though. WallyWorld and PetCo. WallyWorld for the usual reasons. Dirty tanks, nobody around that knows anything about aquariums, etc. And PetCo. I was in there the other day and the aquarium area was dark. So dark that I had a hard time telling what was in the tanks. And those big black sign boards blocking 2/3 of the tank didnt help either. Was wondering what they were trying to hide.

Also, Jack's carries "glofish". I know these are hybrids but I still dont think that they are good for the hobby nor good for nature. Just my opinion. So, I will shop there only if they have something I cant find elsewhere. Besides, they seemed really pricey on most stuff. (Rena Filstar XP2 was $140, I think)

Thanks again! Time for work.

Is glofish breeding/studying/experimenting ethical? That is for you to decide for yourself. I dont feel it is and that is just my opinion on it. You wont see me debate it or condemn someone who supports it. It might of sounded as though I was condemning Jack's for selling them. Nope, I am merely stating my opinion by shopping elsewhere.

I just feel, as a society, we humans toy too much with the natural progression of life as it is. Granted, we MUST at times but only because we caused the issue to begin with.

Just my 2 cents.

Thanks for those links Regen311. They make for some interesting reading as I am always interested in others points of view.

we do, like i know the first batches of glofish we made, we had to kill them and the control group (the unaltered group) just because thats the scientific way (?!!??)

Ketso said:
Is glofish breeding/studying/experimenting ethical? That is for you to decide for yourself. I dont feel it is and that is just my opinion on it. You wont see me debate it or condemn someone who supports it. It might of sounded as though I was condemning Jack's for selling them. Nope, I am merely stating my opinion by shopping elsewhere.

I just feel, as a society, we humans toy too much with the natural progression of life as it is. Granted, we MUST at times but only because we caused the issue to begin with.

Just my 2 cents.

Thanks for those links Regen311. They make for some interesting reading as I am always interested in others points of view.

Glad you liked the links :) I have to admit, I was kind of worried you would take my comments about that as a personal attack. I was just curious in the same way you are. I like to know as much as I about something as well, and I definately respect your opinion and right to have it! Like I said, I'm very relieved you didn't take my comments personally, I was just a little bit confused about the whole thing. Good luck finding your fish! If you're anything like me though, it was a bit of a pain I'm sure driving to all those places, but it was probably fun as well. :) I usually make my boyfriend stop at almost every LFS we pass when we're in the car, I love going in and seeing what the different places have.

LOL Regen311. I rarely, if ever, let someone else's opinions/comments get to me. There are way too many other things in life to worry about than what others think. Not saying that others opinions dont matter. Just saying there is no sense getting bent out of shape if those opinions dont fare well with your own. If we all had the same opinions, the world would still be flat. Nowaddimean?

Back
Top Bottom