Changing substrate from gravel to sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cichlidthinker

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi all , i am looking to change substrates in my 22 gallon any idea how much sand i need ? Looking at about 2 inches above bottom,

And how do i change the substrate in an established tank ? With fish in it , please do help i really dont want to screw up and kill all my fish :),

Sent from my RM-875_eu_euro1_267 using Tapatalk

Get some buckets. Put about half the current water in the buckets with the fish. Use an air stone to keep fish ok. I used my heater to in the bucket. Remove rest of water. Remove gravel and then add the sand. Fill half the tank back up with old water and rest with new conditioned water. Too me about an hour and a half with a planted 20 g. Hardest part was finding all the shrimp. Might have lost some babies. Was a pain but worth it in the long run. Also was a good time to go a fish and shrimp count

Thank you very much :) you were helpful

Do shrimp reproduce fast ?

I would not feed the fish 2 days before you do the change

Get a polybox from your local store put as much tank water as you feel you will need to fill the tank 50% into the polybox put the fish in the polybox with a heater and air stone

Then get a thick hose and drain the rest of the water and gravel out
On the end of the hose you would put into the bucket put a pillow case on the end of the hose then put it in the bucket

This will stop any gravel going down the drain when you empty the bucket at the gravel will stay in the pillow case and you just lift it out

Leave the fish in the polybox over night as sand sometime takes time to settle and the tank will take time to clear

Fill the tank full over night then drain the 50% needed for the water in the box

Back
Top Bottom