Changing to live plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fisher12

Aquarium Advice Regular
I decided to add dwarf hairgrass to my tank 3 weeks ago along with water wisteria and an amazon sword. I have a t8 6500k daylight, two bulbs in a shoplight resting over the aquarium. Im on a budget and thought this would be my best bet for a light that fits the shoplight i have been using. Corect me if im wrong or any suggestions? My main question is, i bought caribsea floramax planted substrate a few days ago since i needed more gravel i beleive for deeper bedding. I got 45 lb of floramax for my 55 gallon tank. It already is about 1 to 1.5 in gravel depth with the regular gravel. How do i go about adding my new substrate? Should i remove sections of gravel and replace it weekly?Or i was hoping to mix it, or would it be better to just add it on top of my current gravel to build it up higher?

Also i have a mystery snail problem. I would like to get rid of then but have read its not easy and they are benificial. I was considering taking all ths gravel out to rid them, but have nowhere to put all my guppies

I have been growing swords, cryptocorynes, and dwarf hair grass for over a year. And all I'm using is the stick LED lights that came with my tank. I'm sure your lighting is good.

I decided to add dwarf hairgrass to my tank 3 weeks ago along with water wisteria and an amazon sword. I have a t8 6500k daylight, two bulbs in a shoplight resting over the aquarium. Im on a budget and thought this would be my best bet for a light that fits the shoplight i have been using. Corect me if im wrong or any suggestions? My main question is, i bought caribsea floramax planted substrate a few days ago since i needed more gravel i beleive for deeper bedding. I got 45 lb of floramax for my 55 gallon tank. It already is about 1 to 1.5 in gravel depth with the regular gravel. How do i go about adding my new substrate? Should i remove sections of gravel and replace it weekly?Or i was hoping to mix it, or would it be better to just add it on top of my current gravel to build it up higher?
As far as the gravel I've done the same thing and what I did I just slowly added the extra substrate to my tank using a cup. I fill the cup with the substrate and slowly lower it all the way down and slowly turn the cup upside down so that the substrate doesn't go everywhere. That's just what I've done. And I recommend putting the floramax first and gravel on top that way the gravel keeps it from blowing everywhere. Just my opinion. Hope it was a help

I would be very surprised if you had a mystery snail overload. They're pretty easy to stop breeding. Regardless, I like most snails. They are a huge help in planted tanks. Assassin snails are pretty awesome, too.

Back
Top Bottom