Chiller pump?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Gboy66 said:
Yup thats what we'll do. Pump in the tank, connected to tubing going to the chiller. Then tuning goin back in!!

Just enailed the company for an idea on what pump to buy

Actually I would have the pump outside the tank. Unless the specs have changed since I bought my last one several years ago, the mag-drive pumps can be run external. I would have it on the floor of the stand sucking water from the tank and pumping it through the chiller and back into the tank. You can use a power head to prime the closed loop initially, and then unless you break the prime on purpose it should stay primed, even if you lose power. This should give you more options and save you room inside the tank/compartments in your cube.

Interesting. What i prime?

I say inside the tank becausethats what the tank manual recommends. But this sounds good too!

Priming is simply filling the tubes with water so the pump isn't sucking air. I don't think in this type of a situation the pump will self prime.

reefrunner69 said:
Priming is simply filling the tubes with water so the pump isn't sucking air. I don't think in this type of a situation the pump will self prime.

Sorry, and ok! Thats what i thought. Sweet!

Alright guys i just want to confirm that we need a mag7 for our pump... Anything else we need to buy? Thanks

Also, the chiller output is 1/4"..but the pump i think will be 1/2". How do we fit those with tubing then?

Nu-Nu the eel said:
Alright guys i just want to confirm that we need a mag7 for our pump... Anything else we need to buy? Thanks

At 5' of head a mag 7 will pump 420 gph a mag 5 will do 250gph and a mag 3 will do 210 gph. Consult the chiller's literature to see how many gph it needs to work efficiently. I'm thinking a mag 7 is going to be what you want, but more contact time may be needed.

Gboy66 said:
Also, the chiller output is 1/4"..but the pump i think will be 1/2". How do we fit those with tubing then?

You can use PVC reducers to get you where you need on your inputs and outputs.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom