Chloramines in tap water + ammonia readings

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mimi9000

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone,

I hope someone with an understanding of chemistry can help with this one because it's definitely not my area of expertise!

My water has .5 ammonia straight from the tap (I use the API master kit). Water company confirms they started chloraminating the water about 6 months ago.

I use Seachem Prime as a conditioner ...

If I'm understanding this correctly, the chloramines are giving me a false positive and Prime renders the chloramines non-toxic for 24 hours. Is that correct?

Other questions:

After 24 hours does the Prime "wear off" and the chloramines become toxic again? I ask because I condition the water, add Indian Almond leaf (my fish may have lymphocystis) and let the water sit for a couple days before adding it to the tank. Am I adding in toxic water?

Is it better if I use purified water from one of those grocery store dispensers? I tested some the other day -- no ammonia! Or is it fine to continue using my tap water as long as I condition it first?

Any advice is appreciated -- thank you!

EDIT: info about my tank

5 gallons, cycled since March 2013. 1 betta, 1 mossball, 1 anubias plant, 1 ornament, gravel, Indian Almond leaf, Fluval Aquaclear filter.

All I can say is not to drive yourself crazy checking water parameters. Do your water changes, keep adding Prime and or de-chloramine as per directions and you'll be fine as long as your filter is cycled. Are you having high ammonia readings in your tank?

Back
Top Bottom