cichlids eating eggs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bob mccoy

Aquarium Advice Addict
My rainbow cichlids and jewel cichlids eat there eggs a couple of day after laying them . is there anything i can do. there is only one mated pair in each tank. all parameters are good in the tanks .

Don't know if they are like kribs at all, but it's common for the parents to eat the first few spawns.

What are your readings?

all my readings are realy low 0-5 on all. well thi is the third batch so ill see what happens. can i pull the rock out and put it in a tank with good circulation and let them hatch.

Could you please give me specific readings for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate (separate them out, as different parameters should have different readings).

Thanks.

Those are beautiful readings..... (y)

How many times have these fish spawned? As said above, typically first-time parents will consume eggs or even free swimming fry until they get the hang of it. Can't say I blame them actually..... ;)

ok this is the third time so ill just keep waiting . thank u so much lynda.

How big are the tanks? If there's enough room for other fish to get away from the pair's territory a BN pleco may be helpful. They're no threat to eggs or fry regardless, but give the pair something to distract them and strengthen their protective instincts.

how old are they sometimes they just need to mature a little. Before you know it you'll be seperating them to keep them from breeding

You can pull the eggs out and hatch them artificially if you want, I have done this with several species. Keep a good amount of water flowing over them and you may not have a fungus issue, if you do end up with fungus, methylene blue works well.

ok i will put a pleco in there and see what happens. the pair are by them self . i can add one more fish if i need to because i have 30 of them. this pair are in a 40 gal.

someone said it might distract them and make them protect the eggs instead of eating them

heck i dont no but im geting so bummed out. it seams all my efforts are fore nothing sometimes. ok ill quit whining and keep breeding lol. our little business is called C&M aquatics --fish brothel

heck i dont no but im geting so bummed out. it seams all my efforts are fore nothing sometimes. ok ill quit whining and keep breeding lol. our little business is called C&M aquatics --fish brothel

Fish Brothel! haha! GOOD LUCK!

A 40 gallon tank is big enough, the pair will only claim about 2/3 of the tank as their territory. Just make sure the pleco has good cover to hide at the far end of the tank if necessary.

Back
Top Bottom