Cinderblock stand on carpet?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Visionist

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm considering doing a cinderblock stand for my 50g aquarium but I'm having some thoughts about it being on carpet. Would the cinderblocks be fine directly on the carpet or should I put something on it? If so what should I put on it? A sheet of plywood? Cardboard?
thanks

I'm thinking it would be great for support. In my head I have a few issues with cinder right on top of the carpet though. One would be moisture and mildew/mold. No matter what we do, sometimes we drip water from our tanks and cinders can hold a huge amount of moisture. Second I can see terrible staining of your carpet underneath. Any substance/dust on those blocks and add any moisture it will wick to your rug.
Just a suggestion - Home Depot sells white vinyl garage trim. It is 8" x 8 or 10 feet. They have two thicknesses, 3/8" or 1/2" thick, your preference. The face side has a wood grain to it. It is sold as garage door trim, but I use it for a million things because it is easy to cut/rip. If it were me wanting to do this, I would make a vinyl 'perimeter pad' to set the blocks on. Pretty cheap too, IIRC $12 a length.

I have cinder blocks in my basement, it is concrete with carpeting. I painted the exposed sides of the blocks with a gloss black (for water resistance as well as aesthetics), and threw a sheet of 1/2" particle board the full width of the stand down first. I figured if I ever moved the tank, I'd rather look at a rectangular depression in the carpet, than a cinder-block outline.....sometimes (depending on carpet pad) those depressions are permanent. Another thing by using the particle board, it allowed me something to screw into at the bottom and add a wood cabinet between the two vertical rows of blocks. If I had a picture, I'd post it.

Block Tank Stand

I'm considering doing a cinderblock stand for my 50g aquarium but I'm having some thoughts about it being on carpet. Would the cinderblocks be fine directly on the carpet or should I put something on it? If so what should I put on it? A sheet of plywood? Cardboard?
thanks

Hello Vis...

This type of stand is cheap and very sturdy. Good choice. I'd use a piece of particle board on top of the blocks, under the tank. A towel over the particle board will cushion the glass. The same type board at the bottom to protect the carpet. You can drape a colored sheet over the top before you place the tank to cover the block unless you don't mind looking at the grey blocks.

B

Why particle board instead of plywood?

Not sure if that question was directed to me or the other poster, but that's what I had laying around as scraps from house projects, that's all....If I'd had plywood, would have used that.

Because that's what I had laying around as scraps from house projects, that's all....If I'd had plywood, would have used that.

Ahh, I had plywood lying around so I just used that

Sent from my LG G2 using Aquarium Advice mobile app.

Attachments

• 1397487160043.jpg
    1397487160043.jpg
    205.6 KB · Views: 3,051
Looks good. Mine is similar except I have another sheet of plywood between the first and second blocks for ten gallon tanks, or storage if you prefer.

Back
Top Bottom