Cinderblocks, vertical holes or horizontal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SoveriegnR

Aquarium Advice Regular
So just got 6 blocks (8x8x16) to hold up my 20g long tank.

I've been googling the best position for them and everywhere is saying to face them vertical (holes going vertical, so you can't see through the blocks in any direction but from above) which is fine.

cept I have 1 block on each side that is just EVER SO SLIGHTLY wobbly. I put it on the bottom, thinking only one side was uneven and that the carpet would help even out any pressure spots. Nope, the top side is also slightly wobbly which in turn has made that whole 3 piece tower just a tiny bit wobbly in one corner... -_-

They're fine if I lay them with the holes horizontal though... (so i can see thru the blocks from the side) I've read this is not ideal, and looking at it, since my tank is not 16in, but 12in... the corners sit over the empty hole sections when laid horizontal @_@ Both positions are concerning.

Is there a safe way to prevent the wobble? Could I shove some thick cardboard in there???

i could but that requires me to spend god knows how long back at home depot trying to find even blocks LOl which... will probably take me through half to the whole pallet. Not something I wanna do honestly. So if I can just safely shove some cardboard or something in between the wobbly part and call it good, I'd rather do that...

i tried some thick cardboard I had and it's preventing wobble. I checked the level of the blocks as well and shockingly they're all level XD

I'd think cardboard would compress and make things off balanced in the long run. Once you get a full aquarium set up, thing will get heavy. Now that you know that it can be leveled, maybe get something more permanent.

Hmm... yes good point. I don't know what i'd use that I have around the house...I don't have any shims to stick in there.

I'll have to go find some soon. I still need to water test my tank so I have time to make everything proper. I'm in no rush with this tank.

Use foam board between the tank and the blocks. Once it's full of water it won't go anywhere

I put down 2 planks of pine, will that be ok? I chose pine cus it's a soft wood, so like the foam it will give and mold with the tank?

Back
Top Bottom