Clamped fins

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Damian

Aquarium Advice Regular
I noticed today that my 3 baby angel fish have clamped fins. The bigger one doesn't, and all my other fish don't.

Are they new? How did you acclimate them? What size tank & what are your water parameters (ammonia/nitrite/nitrate/ph)? The weakest fish are usually the first to be affected by water quality issues. Some more information will help us to help you!

55g tank. I got them two weeks ago. They swim to the top to eat but after they swim down to the bottom and not move.Ph is 7.2 and ammonia is between 0-0.25 I don't have a nitrate tester
But every time I do water changes I add prime and neutral regulator.

ForumRunner_20111231_113517.jpg

I am not sure what neutral regulator is but you should not be adding any chemicals that affect the ph. Fish will adapt to your ph-sudden changes can have serious consequences for the health of your fish. You need to invest in a nitrite & nitrate test (liquid) as soon as possible (amazon has them inexpensively). What type of test are you using to test your ammonia levels (liquid or strips)? How often & how much are your pwcs? How long has this tank been running? Did you quarantine these new fish before adding them to your tank? We need to rule out water quality issues in order to figure out what is going on with your new fish- tests are the only way to do this.

I add neutral regulator to my tap water . It lowers the Ph to 7,0 other wise my Ph would be off the chart. I've been doing this for weeks with no effect on the fish
40% water changes weekly . I use liquid test kits. Tank has been tunning for about 2 years.

When I added them I kept them in the bag maybe for an hour. I poked holes in so the water mixed.

What is the ph of your tap water? Unless its something drastic (5 or 9), i wouldnt touch it. Please look into a nitrite & nitrate test as well. Fin clamping is a sign of stress & can be a possible indicator of disease. Because they were not quarantined properly, i do not know what they may possibily be afflicted with (if anything). Because water quality issues can not be ruled out either, i do not know if this is a factor as well. As i said earlier, the weakest fish will typically be the first to show signs of stress if theres something amiss in your tank.

Out of curiosity, what is the temperature of the tank? Sometimes low temperatures can cause clamped fins.

I would say my tap water Ph is higher than 9. When I tested it was really dark blue.

Unless you have tropical fish, the temperature is not a problem. The pH on the other hand, sounds a bit high. Someone who is more knowledgeable about how to handle this will step in soon.

Damian said:
I would say my tap water Ph is higher than 9. When I tested it was really dark blue.

Are you using a high range pH test or the low range? If your using the low range (it sounds like it) you will not be getting a correct reading. Jlk is correct. pH altering chemicals can poison fish. Smaller angels are more sensitive than adults. Can you take a sample of your water to your LFS to get it tested? Make sure they use a liquid test kit and not strips.

Back
Top Bottom