Clarification of a few things for a newbie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hyperman

Aquarium Advice Activist
We have a 29g tank that we are in the 6th week of fish-in cycling. We have 2 guppies, 2 swordtails and a small cory catfish.

We feed them once a day for 2 minutes. Is this good or too much or too little?

I understand that the filter element will contain bb but does the filter need to be cleaned in tank water in a bucket on some kind of schedule?

We clean the gravel with a python clean and fill system. Seems to do an ok job but does anyone suggest something that would do a better job?

Is adding bacteria in a bottle harmful to try and speed up the cycling? We add water conditioner and clarifier with every pwc.

Is it too late to try and get some gravel from a cylced tank from someone?

Thanks for all the advice and help

Hi, I replied to your other thread but I'll answer here too. My replies below in blue...

We have a 29g tank that we are in the 6th week of fish-in cycling. We have 2 guppies, 2 swordtails and a small cory catfish.

We feed them once a day for 2 minutes. Is this good or too much or too little? Nope, sounds good as long as they eat it all.

I understand that the filter element will contain bb but does the filter need to be cleaned in tank water in a bucket on some kind of schedule? Not right now, since the tank is still cycling I wouldn't touch it. Once it's established you can rinse the media out in old tank water during a water change once a month or so. What filter is on the tank and what media is inside (filter pad, sponge, rings, etc)?

We clean the gravel with a python clean and fill system. Seems to do an ok job but does anyone suggest something that would do a better job?
That's fine as long as you're getting deep into the gravel. Stick the python into the gravel and you'll see the gravel swirling into the tube. It won't suck up the gravel itself but all the excess food and waste will be sucked up.

Is adding bacteria in a bottle harmful to try and speed up the cycling? We add water conditioner and clarifier with every pwc.
Not harmful no, but they can be hit and miss. It can be difficult to keep bacteria viable in a bottle due to different conditions as it goes through processing, shipping, etc. I wouldn't bother with the clarifier, it's probably not needed. The less chemicals you use the better. What conditioner are you using now?

Is it too late to try and get some gravel from a cylced tank from someone?
No, never too late to try to get something from an established tank. Filter media is best but if you can get gravel that might help some too; I'd put it in a mesh bag and either add it directly to your filter or put it right near the filter intake so the bacteria gets sucked into the filter.

Thanks for all the advice and help
You're welcome. Good luck!

Last edited:
+1 librarygirl and I would add with the Python, the amount suction in the tank depends on the water flow from the faucet. When my Python doesn't have enough suction I turn the faucet up a little & the suction increases.

Back
Top Bottom