Class eco-jar

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

9windsofash

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello.
My class is doing an ecojar project where you have to keep a species alive in a closed jar for 5 weeks. My friends and I wanted to do snails and shrimp.
What do you think would be better, red cherry shrimp or ghost shrimp? Mystery snail or nerite snail?

If you had any other suggestions for a type of plant or other, that would be great. Maybe fish instead?

Thank you so much.

I am pretty sure this is going to go very badly as a class project.

The teacher should be educated as to the torture being caused to helpless creatures.

Perhaps you MIGHT be able to make it work out with a ton of advice.

Try a gallon jar and a do a bunch of research on water quality issues. I am imagining also that it is an assignment that starts pretty fast, as in not very much time to research and to study how to do it.

Just look at the nitrogen cycle relating to aquariums. If you have anyone in your group who has an established aquarium, you can use about an inch of their gravel/sand which will have beneficial bacteria on them.

Shrimp are pretty sensitive to ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate water quality issues.

Would not make that my first pick.

Please read up on the Nitrogen cycle for aquariums and you will see why you can't just chuck in a handful of rock to a quart jar and expect a critter to live within the micro system.

Here is one place specifically for that
The Cycle of Life: The Nitrogen Cycle in Aquariums

In my signature is a link to an article from Aquarium Advice regarding keeping fish and all the related things you would need to know.

Bit tricky - nothing really pops to mind. When you say closed jar, is it close the jar and that's it for 5 weeks or ?

Maybe something growing on small piece of driftwood (to get nutrients).

Last edited:
Ramshorn snails. Pretty sure they are right up there with cockroaches in ability to survive the apocalypse. And a foods source with cycled media.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom