CLeaning live rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rupp3322

Aquarium Advice Activist
After about a year my live rock is growing tons of algae and other junk. Can I scrub it or what can be done to make it look so gross?

Yeah buy a toothbrush and clean the peices in some old tank water when you do your next water change. Just make sure you keep them in the water as much as possible. Also might be worth while trying to find the reason why your have so much algae growth and combat it that way also. I had the same kinda prob with algae till I managed to get my phos levels down.

This is what I did. I put my live rock in a tub of salt water that had one nice dual power head. I put a small bottle of hydrogen peroxide in and covered it up. Now about a month later my rock looks like pearl white and none of that crazy algae or those nasty worms that make the webs. I took a tooth brush and lightly brushed the junk off that the power head didn't blow off. It worked like a champ.

Iceman is that skull in your profile pic in your tank? If so any chance of uploading a pic of your tank, I think it looks way cool. ?

Sure I will post a pic. Thanks. I have all blue, pink and purple lights. So it's going to be bluish. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1392127318.327817.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1392127369.971839.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1392127430.443877.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1392127462.629112.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1392127504.159973.jpg

Sweet thanks mate, once again think that skull looks cool in there ?

If you notice those very bright rocks, they are almost pure white. That's just from maybe a month in a tub with hydrogen peroxide. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1392127737.728033.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1392127769.156295.jpg

Many thanks. I love skulls and it looks like a divers skull. I wish my tank was larger to put half a sunken ship. I love how sunken ships turn into reefs and homes for fish in the ocean.

Yeah a friend of mine has a 6ft with a sunken ship in its amazing. Wish I had room for a massive tank also

Back
Top Bottom