clear bubble on LR

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MEIndrei

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
clear bubble on rock...

Hello :)
I have a weird bubble like thing on one of my rocks. It looks slimy, almost like mucus and its kind of like a pouch or a bag. It looks like one if the small starfish that hitched a ride on my rock may be inside the pouch thing... Anyone have any idea what this may be?

I have a weird bubble like thing on one of my rocks. It looks slimy, almost like mucus and its kind of like a pouch or a bag. It looks like one if the small starfish that hitched a ride on my rock may be inside the pouch thing... Anyone have any idea what this may be?

It does sound like bubble algae, but the "slimy" description also leads me to think of cyano. Please post a pic, or click the link in my signature to help ID it clearly. Both are caused by excessive nutrients. With bubble algae, don't pop it, or spores will be released and you will have a bigger problem. A simple way to remove it safely is to take a tweezer and gently twist it off of whatever it is attached to. Hope this helps.

Thanks!!

Its behind the rock and mostly clear so it doesnt come out in pics. I saw one of my hermit crabs trying to eat it and it looks like it may have grown smaller.

I just started feeding brine shrimp. Could it be from over feeding?

Frozen? If so, then yes. They are frozen in gels/liquids that are packed with phosphates which will cause bubble algae. You may want to try melting the brine and rinsing them from now on.

Back
Top Bottom