Cloudy Water?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marleah

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi there, I have had my tank for almost a year now. Never had any problems with cloudy water, about 2 months ago during our routine cleaning and water change we changed the filter cartridge as well, since then our water has been so incredibly cloudy. I have no idea what is causing it and at the advice of the store I've been doing 50% water changes every 2 days adding a cap if stability as well. I have had 3 fish die. Nothing seems to be helping the problem so I'm turning to my advanced aquarists now... Any advice?

image-2364997920.jpg

My guess (for the fish dying) would be since you changed your filter your BB (beneficial bacteria) is now gone and there is nothing to convert ammonia to nitrite and nitrite to nitrate. Did you ever cycle your tank when you got it a year ago? For future reference... NEVER change out your filter cartridge, that's where your BB colonized the most at, some of it colonized on plants, substrate and decor as well. When the cartridge gets gunky and nasty looking, swish it around in some old tank water, NEVER in tap water because that will kill BB. If it gets to the point of falling apart and you need a new one, run your new one with your old cartridge for about a week (or two if you want to be safe) so the BB can seed to the new cartridge. If you don't have a test kit, invest in one. It's crucial to this hobby. Since you have fish do a water change anytime nitrite or ammonia gets at or above .25 and nitrates need to kept below 20.

Yes we cycled it for about 10 days before adding any fish. And last month was the second time we have changed the filter cartridge.

Marleah said:
Yes we cycled it for about 10 days before adding any fish. And last month was the second time we have changed the filter cartridge.

I edited my last reply, read it over or more info I forgot to give you the first time.

Marleah said:

Did you fish in cycle the tank or do a fish less cycle? How did you cycle the tank exactly (details please :))

Marleah said:
Hi there, I have had my tank for almost a year now. Never had any problems with cloudy water, about 2 months ago during our routine cleaning and water change we changed the filter cartridge as well, since then our water has been so incredibly cloudy. I have no idea what is causing it and at the advice of the store I've been doing 50% water changes every 2 days adding a cap if stability as well. I have had 3 fish die. Nothing seems to be helping the problem so I'm turning to my advanced aquarists now... Any advice?

What are your ammonia, nitrites & nitrates readings? I'd start by testing the water with a liquid test kit. Adding stability could be causing some of the ongoing cloudiness. How well do you vacuum the substrate? Did you rinse the new filter before installing it? What kind of filtration do you have?

We purchased the tank before any fish, added stability, prime, conditioner and aquarium salt and let it run for 10 days... Ammonia was still slightly high so we added more prime let it run for another 2 days and then added fish :) this would have been last Feb

We vacuum the gravel once a week but lately more often due to the cloudiness, ammonia was at .25 but is now at 0 and nitrates were .25 last time we got it tested and not sure where it's at now as I've run out if nitrate testing solution. Not sure what you mean by what type of filtration system, I'm a beginner!! This filter came with my 15G tank

Marleah said:
We vacuum the gravel once a week but lately more often due to the cloudiness, ammonia was at .25 but is now at 0 and nitrates were .25 last time we got it tested and not sure where it's at now as I've run out if nitrate testing solution. Not sure what you mean by what type of filtration system, I'm a beginner!! This filter came with my 15G tank

Have you added anything to the tank! Fish, plants, decorations, etc.? By filtration I mean is it an Aqueon 50, a Top fin 10 if you know? Has anything changed in your tap water? I know that at certain times of the year my tap water comes out cloudy but will settle & be clear. Has your city changed the chemical make up of your tap water? Bacterial blooms, IME, don't last as long as yours seems to have, if that's what it is.

Marleah said:
We purchased the tank before any fish, added stability, prime, conditioner and aquarium salt and let it run for 10 days... Ammonia was still slightly high so we added more prime let it run for another 2 days and then added fish :) this would have been last Feb

That's your problem there, is only letting it run. That doesn't cycle a tank regardless of what a pet store tells you. From now on... Don't rely on the fish store's advice. Here's what you need to know on how to properly cycle your tank. Since you have fish, your stuck with a fish in cycle. Invest in a liquid test kit, API Master test kit is highly recommended here they can be found on amazon for around $20, test your water and do a water change anytime ammonia or nitrite gets at or above .25ppm. Test everyday atleast (test daily if you want, there's absolutely no harm in testing to much!) or daily if you want. How you know your cycle is moving along... Ammonia will show up first, then nitrite (or sometimes nitrates can show up first with fish in cycles so don't be alarmed if this happens) will show up and ammonia spike then 0 out, then nitrite will rise and then nitrate will show up and nitrite will drop and eventually 0 out (if nitrate shows up first instead of nitrite then is just opposite, in any cycle ammonia shows first, it's just whether the nitrite or nitrate shows up first that varies). Once your readings are 0 ammonia and nitrite and you only have nitrates left your good to go! From this point on you should only have to test once a week and keep nitrates at 20 and below. Hope this helps you!

Mrs.h2012 said:
That's your problem there, is only letting it run. That doesn't cycle a tank regardless of what a pet store tells you. From now on... Don't rely on the fish store's advice. Here's what you need to know on how to properly cycle your tank. Since you have fish, your stuck with a fish in cycle. Invest in a liquid test kit, API Master test kit is highly recommended here they can be found on amazon for around $20, test your water and do a water change anytime ammonia or nitrite gets at or above .25ppm. Test everyday atleast (test daily if you want, there's absolutely no harm in testing to much!) or daily if you want. How you know your cycle is moving along... Ammonia will show up first, then nitrite (or sometimes nitrates can show up first with fish in cycles so don't be alarmed if this happens) will show up and ammonia spike then 0 out, then nitrite will rise and then nitrate will show up and nitrite will drop and eventually 0 out (if nitrate shows up first instead of nitrite then is just opposite, in any cycle ammonia shows first, it's just whether the nitrite or nitrate shows up first that varies). Once your readings are 0 ammonia and nitrite and you only have nitrates left your good to go! From this point on you should only have to test once a week and keep nitrates at 20 and below. Hope this helps you!

The tank has been running for 10 months so I'd say they've had a fish IN cycle. I do agree on the liquid water test kit & not strips to find out water parameters.

Back
Top Bottom