Clown pleco

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I got 2 of these guys last week and one died after 2 days which was a real shame! :( The other one is still going I hope as I haven't seen him since, I have a piece of wood in here which I think he lives under. Added some cucumber the other day that has been partly eaten which I'm guessing was him ( maybe the other fish though)
I've had this piece of wood in my tank since the start, got it from the shop so I presume it;s the right type (attached a picture and it's the piece to the left) Hope he thrives in my tank as he's pretty cool for a fish that doesn't do much! :)

Attachments

• photo2.JPG
    photo2.JPG
    97.8 KB · Views: 89
Individual fish may have different food preference but drift wood is a natural staple of clown Plecos and as a result most will readily accept it as you can read in other posts on this thread. I only have a small piece for mine as I have it with African cichlids and he is always under the wood.

Yes when adding a pleco you must know if wood is part (or all) of it's natural food source. Some, such as the common, do not need it. But many of the popular dwarf choices we've come to love must have the wood to feed on as they need the lignin it contains for their gut to function properly.

I got 2 of these guys last week and one died after 2 days which was a real shame! :( The other one is still going I hope as I haven't seen him since, I have a piece of wood in here which I think he lives under. Added some cucumber the other day that has been partly eaten which I'm guessing was him ( maybe the other fish though)
I've had this piece of wood in my tank since the start, got it from the shop so I presume it;s the right type (attached a picture and it's the piece to the left) Hope he thrives in my tank as he's pretty cool for a fish that doesn't do much! :)

The wood looks fine but..maybe it's just the pic but that tank looks awfully small for plecos...Something the size of and with a bioload of a clown pleco should generally be stocked 1 per 20-29 gallons at the max.

Finally got a piece of Malaysia ?? drift wood for my clown place. This should suffice to keep him happy I hope. It's full of holes which he promptly swam in and haven't seen him since. It should help with his stomach, maybe he will get a little bigger.

Back
Top Bottom