CO2 for a 2.5 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bferrer26

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm trying to set up a planted 2.5 gallon tank with a DIY CO2. I have all of the materials to set it up. What would the formula be for such a small tank though? And what size bottle would you recommend to use?

I'd use one 2 liter bottle. I'd start with no more than 1/8 teaspoon of yeast. My formula for your nano tank would be 1.5 cups sugar, 2 1/2 cups water, 1/8 t yeast, 1/4 t baking soda.

If that doesn't give you enough CO2 then up the yeast (and the sugar, too if you want). There are many formulas mostly based on these basic ingredients. They all basically work so start smaller and gradually increase it to what works for you.

I'd use one 2 liter bottle. I'd start with no more than 1/8 teaspoon of yeast. My formula for your nano tank would be 1.5 cups sugar, 2 1/2 cups water, 1/8 t yeast, 1/4 t baking soda.

If that doesn't give you enough CO2 then up the yeast (and the sugar, too if you want). There are many formulas mostly based on these basic ingredients. They all basically work so start smaller and gradually increase it to what works for you.

Okay thank you. Most of the formulas I had found online were for 10 gallons and up. I'll definitely try this

Okay thank you. Most of the formulas I had found online were for 10 gallons and up. I'll definitely try this

Just remember that it is the yeast that is the the producer of the CO2. The sugar is yeast food. Generally less yeast gives less CO2. It is not an exact science and getting the right amount for your tank and requires experimentation. I keep notes of my formula adjustments and the results from week to week.

Also I find that my yeast CO2 output increases the first couple of days.

I forgot to ask if you have fish in the tank or is it plant only? If you have fish a drop checker and careful observation will help you monitor CO2 level and help you manage your fish's well being. My fish are fine, but that was my greatest concern in adding my DIY system to my tank.

I'm still pretty new to this so I welcome any others who may weigh in with more experience.

Just remember that it is the yeast that is the the producer of the CO2. The sugar is yeast food. Generally less yeast gives less CO2. It is not an exact science and getting the right amount for your tank and requires experimentation. I keep notes of my formula adjustments and the results from week to week.

Also I find that my yeast CO2 output increases the first couple of days.

I forgot to ask if you have fish in the tank or is it plant only? If you have fish a drop checker and careful observation will help you monitor CO2 level and help you manage your fish's well being. My fish are fine, but that was my greatest concern in adding my DIY system to my tank.

I'm still pretty new to this so I welcome any others who may weigh in with more experience.

It's going to be a err cherry shrimp tank. I have two in there right now. They are my concern which is why I want to get this right and not harm them.

It's going to be a err cherry shrimp tank. I have two in there right now. They are my concern which is why I want to get this right and not harm them.

Awesome. RCS Are cool. Just go slow and be observant. You will do fine.

I don't think it's wise to use DIY CO2 in tanks smaller than 10g's... maybe 5 is pushing it... definitely way too much for a 2.5g. Reason being is that once the CO2 gets going, there's no way to stop its production, no off switch or rate control like in a pressurized system. You'll end up gassing out those shrimp. Shrimp are far more susceptible to CO2 than fish. If you want to keep shrimp in this small tank, stick to low light non-CO2... unless you can buy a pressurized system like paintball. Or just use liquid carbon like Excel.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom