Co2?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have read that if you get over 2wpg you are starting to get into the range for co2 use. You have 2.9wpg so you may have a problem. I'm sure the advisors for fw will have a more definitive answer but you should be able to tell if your plants are showing signs of distress. I just noticed you don't have any plants listed in your signature. Do you even have to use CO2 for fo tanks?

At 2 watts, co2 is advisable. At 3 watts your going to need it. The high light and co2 make the plants flourish and use the phosphates that algae live on. You will probably need to add fertilizer and iron. You didn't say how many plants you have. Plants can be challenging but its worth it in the end. :D

I have a whole mess of java fern(all tanks), watersprite(55), dwarf sag(55 dieing), and elodea(55), sword plant (dieing in 55) in my tanks. I have 120 watts currently over the tank making it 2.2 wpg. My swords have never done well and the grass is starting to die off. Ive been wanting to add more light to add more kinda of plants to my tank such as the ones thaT require high lighting. If I were to add more light Id get rid of my stock light and add another shop light from home depot onto it. So it would be 4 48" tubes over the tank.

I have flourite gravel and its making my plants grow but the higher light plants besides java fern havent ever done well in my tank. If I went with the 2 shoplights instead of my current setup of one shoplight and stock light then Id try to make diy co2. That is why I asked my question.

You should already be running CO2 with 120watts, that's likely why your dwarf sag. isn't doing so well.

DIY is possible on a 55g, but it's gonna be a hassle. You'll need 2, possibly 3 one gallon jugs of CO2 mixture running at all times, and the most efficient reactor/diffuser you can get.

I'd start saving up for a pressurized system. Buy the regulator, lease the CO2 cylinder, and make a reactor for $5 worth of PVC fittings (assumign you run a canister filter)

I also agree with the recommendation to go with CO2 injection and a pressurized system makes the most sense for your size tank. If you go with CO2 injection, you should avoid filters with bio-wheels because the increased gas exhange they provide for aerobic bacteria actually helps the CO2 to escape from the water. That is also why I think most people maintaining large planted tanks use canister filters instead of power filters.

Do you use any kind of fertilizer on your plants. My sword plants do much better since I started using flourish tabs under them and adding Tropica master grow to the water.

I use Seachem's Flourish to make my plants flourish. I also use Flourite as a substrate and Flourish Tabs to go under the gravel.

Back
Top Bottom