COA - Please critique!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cynic

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi all,

After much pondering and research I've decided on a plan (Subject to any advice to the contrary)...

The problems I have are currently...

• An unknown lump on a neon tetra (Can not for the life of me get any decent photos)
  • A number of fish displaying the occasional 'flash' (Honestly a very rare occurence but has happened enough to indicate I likely have a problem)

I only have 1 quarantine tank and in it is a platy (Who was flashing) and the neon tetra. I know I shouldn't be mixing problems in a QT tank but I wanted to observe the platy to check for more flashing plus it's a kind of important platy I wanted to stop getting bullied (A recent development...)).

Now I plan to treat the tank where my fish are flashing with Para-Cide (Trichlorfon) under the assumption external parasites are the cause for my fish flashing. If the flashing continues after 2 x 7 day treatment I'll have to reassess the situation.

I can not see any visible symptoms on any of my fish in the tank and the platy which did flash and has been QTd has not been seen flashing in 24 hours.

Due to the use of trichlorfon I'll be relocating my bristlenose pleco to the QT tank as well, something I'd prefer not to do but apparently this medication can be lethal to this species.

Now as the neon has not responded to a treatment of Pimafix (Anti-fungal medication) for 7 days I'm ruling out the spot being fungal and moving onto bacterial or parasite.

For both the neon/platy I intend to give them a bath in Multicure (Malachite Green/Methylene Blue/Acriflavine). The bath will be 10L for 10 minutes with 25ML of MultiCure which will be 1mg of Malachite Green per litre and 10mg of Methylene Blue per litre.

I've based this calculations off the Multicure ingredients (0.4mg/mL Green, 4.0mg/mL Blue) and the following site Dips and Baths for Aquarium Fish

Hopefully the bath will kill of any external parasites the Platy & Tetra may have and the lump if it is a bacteria infection in the tetra.

Let me know what you think (y)

Can I ask why you have decided on the use of trichlorfon (DHTP)? Do you know what you are treating? This seems like an extreme measue to treat something you have yet to ID. Throwing a potent, toxic organophosphate insecticide into your tank to treat an unidentified disease does not sound like wisest move at the moment. I am still debating whether or not to use DHTP to erradicate my leech infestation....the benefits vs the potential harm of using this chemical have to be weighed very carefully. There are safer options available to consider as well. Just my thoughts here! :)

Last edited:
How about combining the pimafix with melafix?? I read that they are more effective together? Just a thought

Can I ask why you have decided on the use of trichlorfon (DHTP)? Do you know what you are treating? This seems like an extreme measue to treat something you have yet to ID. Throwing a potent, toxic organophosphate insecticide into your tank to treat an unidentified disease does not sound like wisest move at the moment. I am still debating whether or not to use DHTP to erradicate my leech infestation....the benefits vs the potential harm of using this chemical have to be weighed very carefully. There are safer options available to consider as well. Just my thoughts here! :)

You may be right. I didn't actually know trichlorforn was anything to be worried about :hide:. Am I jumping the gun here? What would you suggest; should I wait until more symptoms are prevalent than just the occasional 'flash'?

How about combining the pimafix with melafix?? I read that they are more effective together? Just a thought

Thanks (y) Didn't know that so will investigate!

Lets start with the basics. How are your water parameters including ph & temp? Are these fish new or have you introduced any new fish in the past 2-3 mths? Are the only symptoms occasional flashing or are there other things happening (lack appetite, spots, discolorations, unusual swimming or behavior, increase in mucous on gills or body, rapid breathing, yawning, unusual poop, or anything else that strikes you as 'not normal')? Are all the fish affected or only a few fish? Is it getting worse/spreading? Lets see if we can try to figure out what may be going on (or not) and proceed from there! :)

PH7.3
Temp 25C
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 20

The fish I've seen flash are a peppered cory, a panda cory and a platy. The peppered and the platy have been in around 6 months, the panda maybe 1-2 months.

New fish introduced would be a pictus catfish and two dwarf gouramis since removed (Returned to owner).

Only other symptom I could mention is that the platy has red/pink poop which I can't say I've noticed before but the majority of it's diet is tropical flakes and bloodworms which could explain the colour.

Other than that all the fish seem fine, no deaths or anything unusual. I saw my peppered cory flash about a week or two ago and got worried when I saw the platy and the panda start flashing at the same time yesterday.

Oh I'm experiencing an algae oubreak at the moment in the tank if that's relevant.

Hope that gives you something to go as I've got nothing :(

Hmm... anything unusual about the algae outbreak? Or did your fish start flashing around the same time it appeared? Or did they start flashing after the introduction of the new fish? Has the pictus had any unusual symptoms or has he/she been flashing as well? Can you possibily contact the gourami's owner & see if they have been doing anything unusual or became ill recently? Trying to narrow down possible causes of the issue....

Re: Algae. Nothing really unusual, I'd say it's linked more to a new light than anything else.

Re: Other Fish. Neither the Pictus or Gouramis have been acting strangely according to the owner.

Hard to place the time when I noticed the flashing...I wouldn't be surprised if it was something carried by the other fish but with no symptoms it's hard to be sure.

I just noticed my one of my Julii Cories flashing as well :/

This is tough call with flashing being the only symptoms. Im not positive without other symptoms to ID the problem. Whatever it may be, your tank will need to be treated. There are quite few general parasite meds available that treat a broad spectrum of parasites without reeking havoc on your tank. Alternately, you can treat with aq salt though this alone may not be effective if its flukes. Good luck & keep us posted!

This is tough call with flashing being the only symptoms. Im not positive without other symptoms to ID the problem. Whatever it may be, your tank will need to be treated. There are quite few general parasite meds available that treat a broad spectrum of parasites without reeking havoc on your tank. Alternately, you can treat with aq salt though this alone may not be effective if its flukes. Good luck & keep us posted!

Thanks jlk (y)

I'll look for some general anti-parasite medication at the LFS today. Won't be adding salt to the tank as I have kuhlis in the tank.

On another note I've got some photos here of the pink poop/tetra lump. You may not be able to glean anything off them but figured it can't hurt to post them anyway.

Sorry can't see anything on those pics :(

Hahaha not surprised! I really need a better camera :(

On another subject I just noticed a guppy in the tank where flashing has been evident has a white lump that appears to be raw on it's side. Once again will try to get pictures, likely unsuccessfully :banghead:, just in case it's relevant

Back
Top Bottom