Cold water snails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NatureFish

Aquarium Advice Addict
For sure getting some snails and I want to know which ones to get! I almost DO want to over populate the tank (wanting to disperse them through out all the ponds and possibly the new tank) with which ever snail I chose so it has to be a prolific breeder. I've looked at the most common ones and I've already ruled out apple snails (they will eat my plants) and Sulawesi Rabbits (I want something with flexible parameters). I love, love, love red and blue Ramshorns but I couldn't find much on breeding them so I'm not sure if that's the best choice. Would they be ok with my high pH let alone my cold water tank? I also couldn't find any of them for sale in my area! Beauty is definitely going to be a factor as well. Bright colors would be great, if not I'm ok with dull colors as long as they fit the other criteria. Not sure what fish to put in yet since I keep changing my mind (decisions, decisions...). My substrate is sand if that helps.
I ❤ snails! I can't wait until I get some! Help me decide which breed is best for my tank!

NatureFish
????

For sure getting some snails and I want to know which ones to get! I almost DO want to over populate the tank (wanting to disperse them through out all the ponds and possibly the new tank) with which ever snail I chose so it has to be a prolific breeder. I've looked at the most common ones and I've already ruled out apple snails (they will eat my plants) and Sulawesi Rabbits (I want something with flexible parameters). I love, love, love red and blue Ramshorns but I couldn't find much on breeding them so I'm not sure if that's the best choice. Would they be ok with my high pH let alone my cold water tank? I also couldn't find any of them for sale in my area! Beauty is definitely going to be a factor as well. Bright colors would be great, if not I'm ok with dull colors as long as they fit the other criteria. Not sure what fish to put in yet since I keep changing my mind (decisions, decisions...). My substrate is sand if that helps.
I ❤ snails! I can't wait until I get some! Help me decide which breed is best for my tank!

NatureFish
????

*bump*

NatureFish
????

NatureFish, why do you want the snails? As general community population in habitants, or algae control, or some other reason?

I ask simply because I am learning too. I have two ramshorn snails (about 3/4" diameter shells) in my 29 gallon Goldfish aquarium. I suspect they're eating algae, but aren't what I'd call "great" at that task.

I've learned that Nerite Snails are FAR better algae eaters, and they won't breed in freshwater, so a run-away over-population isn't a concern.

There's a third species I've learned about (I don't know their name, how's that for learning??) which love algae and love to burrow into the substrate. They have black, very conic shells which grow to about 2 inches in length. (I'll see about digging-up their name — and report back to you).

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful; as I said, I'm learning too...

NatureFish, why do you want the snails? As general community population in habitants, or algae control, or some other reason?

I ask simply because I am learning too. I have two ramshorn snails (about 3/4" diameter shells) in my 29 gallon Goldfish aquarium. I suspect they're eating algae, but aren't what I'd call "great" at that task.

I've learned that Nerite Snails are FAR better algae eaters, and they won't breed in freshwater, so a run-away over-population isn't a concern.

There's a third species I've learned about (I don't know their name, how's that for learning??) which love algae and love to burrow into the substrate. They have black, very conic shells which grow to about 2 inches in length. (I'll see about digging-up their name — and report back to you).

I just like snails! :)
I also need something to keep fungus off of killi eggs.

NatureFish
????

I just like snails! :)
I also need something to keep fungus off of killi eggs.

Well, good on ya! I enjoy watching my snails move about. I never set-out to get snails. I bought a live plant from my LFS, brought it home, planted it in the tank, and about a week later, my daughter noticed we had a small snail moving about the plant! A hitch-hiker! :lol:

Some weeks later, she noticed a batch of about 6-7 tiny snails. All got eaten by the goldfish, except one. It survived and is now nearly full grown.

I pulled the plants out of the tank to "rehab" them (excessive algae growth and generally not doing well). During this process, I discovered another batch of tiny snails, seven in total. They are growing and thriving in the glass pitcher which currently contains the rehabbing plants.

Six of the seven small Ramshorn snails are almost large enough (to escape being a Goldies meal) for placement into the main aquarium.

All varieties of snails will fit the bill. I have most of them in my various tanks. No problems with any snails ruining my plants as they are well fed by leftover fish food. All survive well in unheated room temp tanks too. My water is medium-hard and I have had no issues with breeding. Probably my favorites are mystery snails as they have quite the personality.

All varieties of snails will fit the bill. I have most of them in my various tanks. No problems with any snails ruining my plants as they are well fed by leftover fish food. All survive well in unheated room temp tanks too. My water is medium-hard and I have had no issues with breeding. Probably my favorites are mystery snails as they have quite the personality.

Thank you! My killies aren't doing too well again....I wish I would've gotten something easier.

NatureFish
????

Are you thinking of Malaysian trumpet snails?

Fishobsessed7

Are you thinking of Malaysian trumpet snails?
Fishobsessed7

If Malaysian Trumpet Snails are black (and other species are not) then yes. When I was at my LFS yesterday, asking about these things, I didn't think to make a mental note of that snail's species. I missed that opportunity to learn. :(

I was thinking: "if I go with Nerites, done and done." It would have been prudent to make a mental note of the other snail's species.

I'm going back in a few days, I'll check the name.

Malaysian Trumpet Snails do breed quickly if there is enough food. Like most snails they breed only as much as their food availability.

Nerites are the best alge eaters but they lay tons of eggs that will never hatch in fresh water.

Thanks cfosgate.

I've heard that about Nerite eggs. That they won't hatch in freshwater is actually a good thing — from my perspective. I personally do not want an out-of-control army of snails over-taxing my already-stressed bio load.

Selfishly, I want just enough of them to help me with chronic algae.

If I may ask, what would become of those unhatched eggs? I assume they'd just become part of the detritus amongst the tank's bottom sediment, awaiting clean-up via a good gravel vacuuming.

Might the eggs even be a food source for my two Veil Tail Goldfish?

Nerite eggs typically stick to the sides of the tank, decorations and plants. Eventually they break down and slowly dissolve. I do not know if your fish would eat them but if they did that would be great.

I do not know if your fish would eat them but if they did that would be great.

I'm sure my fish would TRY to eat the eggs, and if successful, BAM, a win-win.

If you ever had the chance to see my Goldies, you'd laugh! These two are quite a pair; my little knuckleheads.

In their voracious appetites, they've developed personalities. (or is this simply a case of the pet owner assigning human attributes to his pets?) They've taken an occasional nibble at my fingers! :ermm:

Back
Top Bottom