Colombian snails commit suicide

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

smokey11

Aquarium Advice Regular
Both my colombian ramshorn snails climbed out of the tank and fell to their deaths. Is this indication that something is wrong with the water? or is this fairly common?

I got the snails about 2 months ago. one climbed out 2 weeks after that and the other one climbed out yesterday and died... :(

Everything else in my tank seems to be fine. I have 4 tetras, 2 guppies, red lizardtail, albino bristlemouth pleco and a dozen shrimps - nothing that really hunts snails.

15gallon. 86F. Ph 6.8

Not sure about nitrate, nitrate n ammonia but given fish n shrimps r healthy, it should be ok

Had this tank since Sept. So 3 months

Thanks

15gallon. 86F. Ph 6.8

Not sure about nitrate, nitrate n ammonia but given fish n shrimps r healthy, it should be ok

Had this tank since Sept. So 3 months

Thanks

Keep it at 80°F. It may have been to warm for them.

I would test the water to be on the safe side. Snails typically are the 1st indication something is off with the water. I'm not familiar with ramshorn snails, I haven't had any, but I know with mystery snails they will climb out to lay eggs if the water isn't low enough inside the tank. I agree with vanimal, 86 seems a rather high temp unless you're treating for Ich or something.

Back
Top Bottom