"colony"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tipton34

Aquarium Advice Freak
On the show tanked, they use an additive for there tanks that instantly cycle it, they say. Its called "colony"has anybody ever tried this stuff???

Tipton34 said:
On the show tanked, they use an additive for there tanks that instantly cycle it, they say. Its called "colony"has anybody ever tried this stuff???

I used it in my BC29 BUT... And I stress BUT... I still did a full cycle due to an issue I had with my 75g African tank so I never really got to test it. But I did add it per directions. I know a guy who does accounts that uses it when setting up tanks. So far so good. But I don't think there is any real short cuts to a full legit properly cycled tank.

Ya I didn't think it was a miracle additive. So it just helps speed it up?

Tipton34 said:
Ya I didn't think it was a miracle additive. So it just helps speed it up?

IMO yes it does. I've seen people use it and to this day aren't having issues with anything. I still STRONGLY believe in the good old fashion way and to let the tank cycle properly but I see no harm in using the product. I'm no expert my any means...

Just my 2 cents worth.

Just seems like another snake oil product to me, but that's only an opinion from the surface. I do think if they were serious about a real true product with proper nitrifying bacteria they'd take more than a few seconds on an episode to plug it and actually spend some time to explain what it is and why it works as compared to all of the other junk on the market.

Considering that their tanks are wild and fantastic but rarely practical or sustainable long term, I'd have to apply that same standard to the products they are marketing also.

When I say snake oil type products, I don't mean it's just a magical potion that reduces the weight in your wallet, it may very well 'speed up' a cycle. The problem is that most of these bottled bacteria products are not using the same bacteria that is naturally found in aquaria, so it can easily lead to instability issues during the establishment phase of a tank. They can do some nitrification, giving the appearance of a cycled tank, but they do not last long term, so if the natural nitrifiers haven't established themselves you could find a massive spike at some random point later in the cycling phase.

I could say that a handful of dirt can also speed up a cycle also, if we are just throwing terms around lightly.

This is totally speculating though, if someone has a detailed infopage on the product I'd be glad to look it over.

Last edited:
jetajockey said:
Just seems like another snake oil product to me, but that's only an opinion from the surface. I do think if they were serious about a real true product with proper nitrifying bacteria they'd take more than a few seconds on an episode to plug it and actually spend some time to explain what it is and why it works as compared to all of the other junk on the market.

Considering that their tanks are wild and fantastic but rarely practical or sustainable long term, I'd have to apply that same standard to the products they are marketing also.

When I say snake oil type products, I don't mean it's just a magical potion that reduces the weight in your wallet, it may very well 'speed up' a cycle. The problem is that most of these bottled bacteria products are not using the same bacteria that is naturally found in aquaria, so it can easily lead to instability issues during the establishment phase of a tank. They can do some nitrification, giving the appearance of a cycled tank, but they do not last long term, so if the natural nitrifiers haven't established themselves you could find a massive spike at some random point later in the cycling phase.

I could say that a handful of dirt can also speed up a cycle also, if we are just throwing terms around lightly.

This is totally speculating though, if someone has a detailed infopage on the product I'd be glad to look it over.

You make some excellent point Jeta and like I said I did use it but I also did cycle my tank for longer then expected to due to the columnaris outbreak. An so your saying the dirt I threw in my new 20g didn't instant cycle? Man.... Oh man....

Back
Top Bottom