Colorful schooling fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JHK

Aquarium Advice Newbie
What are some really colourful top level schooling fish?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Harlequin rasboras have some bold and striking color to them. Although only silver, black and orange they are a bold stand out and easily one of my Favourite schooling fish.

Neon Tetras are one of the coolest schooling fish in my opinion. I like the small blue and green ones. They are very tiny but when they have a school of 10+ they look amazing especially if you have an LED light that really brings out their neon colors.

Neon Tetras are one of the coolest schooling fish in my opinion. I like the small blue and green ones. They are very tiny but when they have a school of 10+ they look amazing especially if you have an LED light that really brings out their neon colors.

True that and you can mix them up with black neons and glowlights. Although they don't necessarily "school" unless threatened.

I'm a big fan of neon tetras. What else are you keeping?

Sent from my XT1021 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I don't know how large the tank is, but in larger tanks neons stay in the lower half of the tank. It might appear that they are swimming near the surface in small tanks (such as a 10 gallon) because the surface is so close to the bottom....

I don't know how large the tank is, but in larger tanks neons stay in the lower half of the tank. It might appear that they are swimming near the surface in small tanks (such as a 10 gallon) because the surface is so close to the bottom....

Exactly.

I find this in my 29 gallon too. It's 18" deep and the tetras all stay lower. I use floating plants to add interest to the top.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

Those are bottom feeders and get huge.

Yeah they do get big. I was amaze how they go in a big group and swim around the tank. I had 4 for now and planning to get 4 more. I guess another problem of these clowns is that they easily get ich.

Sent via air mail

Ich is really a non issue - it's by far the easiest ailment in all of fish keeping to treat.

Where there is water, you'll find me in it, on it or staring at it

How big is the tank? Marbled hatchet fish or a dwarf gourami could work.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Exactly.

I find this in my 29 gallon too. It's 18" deep and the tetras all stay lower. I use floating plants to add interest to the top.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

I've got 13 in my 200L and the roam all over. Usually mid layer.

Sent from my XT1021 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I bought some harlequin rasboras cause everyone says they're good shoolers. However they don't have much color to them. Hoping the Orange/red will come out when they grow older?

I've never kept them but I've heard nothing but great things about the fish.

That's usually how it goes - fish get more colorful as they mature. Switching to a high quality staple food like NLS will help bring out their colors.

Also, keep in mind that the fish are new - takes time for them to settle in and their coloration will improve as they get comfortable.

Too, a black background is good for making colors pop.

I also ended up buying 2 hatchetfish that were alone in the tank cause I thought they looked awesome. Turns out they're schooling fish. Looks I gotta wait for more to come in... Do these guys like high flow or low flow?

Yeah most small fish like that are schooling fish. My guess is they like a lower flow. I don't know too much about them though.

I also ended up buying 2 hatchetfish that were alone in the tank cause I thought they looked awesome. Turns out they're schooling fish. Looks I gotta wait for more to come in... Do these guys like high flow or low flow?

Make sure you have a lid and are careful when doing water changes/maintenance. These guys are major jumpers. Floating plants also help deter them from going airborne.

Sent from my iPad using science

Back
Top Bottom