Common Newbie Pitfalls

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I actually like having a short gravel tube, my lights are hard to move out of the way, the shorter gravel tube I can just plunge all the way in and move around without hitting anything. Some people like to keep thier hands dry though, and get the longer tubes.

--I'm about to start a new tank--

Pythons are they powered?

I have a syphon thing but it is not powered.

Once the water comes out, Do i refill at the same time?

--Ten thousand more questions to come-- :)

You all say strips suck... What is the best alternative, some sort of kit?

I saw it posted earlier incorrectly, you want a RAW UNCOOKED SHRIMP to cycle with. It has living bacteria in it and if you cook it first you kill the bacteria. You then get the ammonia from the rotting, but not the bacteria you are after!

Another earlier post:

OceanMaiden said:
jchillin would getting a plecos help keep my tank clean and adversely help the ammonia stay down? Because if it does I may just have to aquire a bunch lol. THAT and a PYTHON. But there is no way I'm going to practice using it with my sink and the toilet. I'll use the sink and a giant rubbermaid container...in the kitchen. The most disgusting and high bacteria rate can be found in your bathroom. No matter how clean it is...they are still everywhere. So I will do my practicing in the kitchen, there is bacteria in there too, as it is everywhere, but not so many and not as digusting of types of bacteria. Blech....Its gross when you know so much about bacteria....Helpful...but gross. Until I get a python I have just a regular Walmart brand gravel vac. It works ok I guess. Kind of akward though. I'll just have to get use to it. My two lil fish are more important to me than any difficulties I may face in providing them the very best care.

Common misconception

The kitchen is actually considered to be the most dangerous place in regards to health issues from contamination. The bathroom while normally getting a bad rap for what happens in there, is normally one of the CLEANEST places due to the harsh chemicals that are frequently used. Bleach, ammonia, peroxides are commonly used on all surfaces in the bathroom. When was the last time you put a strong killing agent on the handles of your refrigerator or even worse your drawers?

Due to the amount of raw food prepared and inadequate cleaning procedures of a lot of people (most of your baddies found in the bathroom are also all over your kitchen!), this is the place to watch out for problems.

But I digress,

I came to add in the point to DO NOT CHANGE YOUR FILTERS! Your directions will tell you otherwise, but don't do it. Rinse it off in tank water if it gets clogged, but don't put a new one in. Get a test kit and watch your levels, and do PWC's when needed, but you're only hurting your cycle by switching out the filters!

7Enigma said:
I came to add in the point to DO NOT CHANGE YOUR FILTERS! Your directions will tell you otherwise, but don't do it. Rinse it off in tank water if it gets clogged, but don't put a new one in. Get a test kit and watch your levels, and do PWC's when needed, but you're only hurting your cycle by switching out the filters!

Don't EVER change filters, or don't change them while the tank is cycling? It seems strange to never, EVER change them...

(Honest question, by the way, I'm still a newbie :))

talloulou said:
Have some patience.

Buy the biggist tank you can afford. In most cases longer tanks are preferable to taller tanks.

Stock slowly!

Don't pick fish based on the fact that you like the way they look. Know the fish. How big will it get, does it need to be kept in a school, is it more of a vegetarian or a carnivore? You can't rely on a store employees advice if you don't know them. Sadly many would sell you a Pacu and a nurse shark for a 20 gallon high.

Buy a testing kit. You want 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, and nitrates under 40ppm.

There is no such thing as too many partial water changes.

Topping off a tank is not a water change.

Gravel vacs are not optional and should be a regular part of your cleaning routine.

Pythons are the best thing since sliced bread.

Don't even look at pH up and pH down products.

Feed your fish a wide variety of food ideally in very small amounts a couple times a day.

Don't attempt to treat sick fish by buying every single type of medicine available at Petsmart. Most of them are going to do more harm then good.

This is the best advise, But I'd like to add one thing.
Get some sort of rubbermaid container as well, use it as a Hospital/Quarantine tank! Stock slowly, BUT when you purchase you newly aquired fish, don't drop them off in your main tank. If they are carrying anything from the LFS, and you drop them into the main tank.... You just infected the entire tank.

Leave them in the quarantine tank for 4 weeks, by then, you'll know for sure, and if they do carry a disease, you're treating a few fish, worst case senario... at least you didn't wipe out your entire stock.

Plus, if you get a sick fish, you have a place to hold it while treating it and helping it recover without the stress of all those other fish, AND you're not treating an entire tank of fish that don't need those med's. Saves oyu money, as well as less stress for the other's.

---------------

jaydawg53 said:
7Enigma said:

Don't EVER change filters, or don't change them while the tank is cycling? It seems strange to never, EVER change them...

(Honest question, by the way, I'm still a newbie :))

Most people suggest only changing your filter's once they are almost falling apart. Your filter's are where the most beneficial bacterial are (the guy's that are eating Ammonia and NitrItes). 7Enigma is right, if you need to, during a water change, take the filter and clean it in the water you just removed from the tank, not the new stuff. If you just switch them out, then bye-bye good bacteria, hello ammonia and nitrIte spikes! With a possible bye-bye fishes!

I have heard it suggested that once you start to see your filter close to death, toss in another filter with it or even have one in there anyway's. This will help the new filter cycle and grow the good bacteria without adversly affecting the tank. This is also a good thing if you have a hosptial tank as I mentioned above, to almost "instant cycle" a tank in an emergency.

I have a HOB (Hang On Back) Filter, along with 2 sponge filter's, and a mini submersible filter in my tank. (All are set on their lowest setting's, so as to not disturb the water too much for my Betta.) Not only are they all cycled, and ready for other tanks, but my tank also has the clearest water you'll ever see!

Hm. Words of wisdom.
Do research on a fish before you buy it, know it's space requirements, temperments, diet, and whether it is okay alone, or in a group.
When in doubt, ask someone that you know, that they know what they're talking about.
Never add any natural aquatic animals to your tank without research , such as I don't know snails. I made this horrid mistake and it killed a many mollies :\. Snails they mess with the pH levels of your tank, and nip and try to eat the fins of your more long tailed fish.(Sometimes the fish!)

This is all I can really think of at the moment.
Best words I can say are, do't do anything without some research and sound advice.
It's difference between a floating, and swimming fish.

stupid me

in every thing (games,life,forums ... whatever) there are 2 species of new "players"

the Newbies and the Noobs

definition of a newbie: a person that wants to learn how to do things, but thinks before acting.

definition of a Noob: pretty much same as the first one BUT ... acts before thinking.

.... meet the NOOB (yeah me)

pitfall 1
do NOT buy fish before having your aquarium "living" (yeah empty aquariums have a life of their own ... read about cycle)

advice 1
IF you bought fish the first day of your aquarium, have a strong heart, 1/3 of them will die the first week, 1/3 of the rest will die in the next week, and half of the rest will behave poorly after that.

pitfall 2
do not add ANYTHING in the aquarium while there are fish in it.
Advice2
if you REALLY MUST DO, wash it, rinse it before you do, then rinse it again
if you REAL REAL REAL have to, do it very slow, will stress your pets a lot less

pitfall 3
if you buy a water filter, make sure the fish are bigger then the aspiration holes
advice,
get a sponge, and try to put it around the water aspiration holes, this will stop the fish being vacuumed in, or worse being stuck to a hole
i say stuck is worse because they die in 1-2 minutes, while the ones sucked in have a chance to be "rescued" provide you see they got caught.

all this being on a very BASIC level,
i have not yet learned how to properly cycle my aquarium, how to fit multiple species in the same tank, nor how to effective maintain the ph stable.

started with about 30 fish, lost 6 to the water pump, 3 due a nitrites spike, 3 due stress, and 6 others are performing badly ;(

so ... final advice,
if you do not KNOW HOW to start a NEW tank, have someone help you,
BUY the water, plants and a couple of fish from a WORKING tank, and enjoy them for at least 1 month, instead of doing what i did ... aka buying everything the same day, enjoying them 2 days ... then starting to loose them.

Welcome to AA.

Your story is a very common one, but you can now relax, knowing you are in the capable hands of a ton of experienced aquarists. Head over and post in the Welcome Wagon, make yourself known, and learn!

Welcome Mistic. Like stated, you're in very capable hands here. It sounds like you've already done a lot of reading and learned about what mistakes were made. have no fear, we were all "Noobs" once, so you are definately not alone.

Read up on the forums, ask lots of questions, and we'll help you recover and get things going in the right direction for a nice, healthy tank.

Last edited:
1. RESEARCH, RESEARCH, RESEARCH!
2. Double Check what your friendly LFS person tells you! I work at a PetSmart and am probably one of the most knowledgable in my department but those new hires are not very trustworthy with what they tell people.
3. FISHLESS CYCLE YOUR TANK NO MATTER WHAT!
4. Fish tanks DO NOT take care of themselves! IE gravel vac and monthly [if not more] water changes
5. Know how big that fish is gonna get when he's full grown. He maybe small now but in a year...yeah
6. Buy the biggest tank you can fit and afford

That's all I can think of now...but I think that covers the basics.

most all has been said.. but one thing i would like to add. is once you have got your tank started with the wonderful help from everyone here.. PLEASE do NOT forget to QT ANY and ALL new additions to yout tank.. it will save so much heartache and trouble in the future!

#1 mistake made by new aquarists is tragically ironic: Not finding this forum before jumping into this hobby.

Too True!!!!

This place has been a life saver. I just wish when in the crisis moment at the fish store I could access an IM feature via cell to get instant impartial information from everyone here.

Back
Top Bottom