Common Newbie Pitfalls

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Have some patience.

Don't even look at pH up and pH down products.

QUOTE]

So what could we do to alter the pH? I remember using some of that stuff in my old 55gal but I have been hearing a lot lately that they don't even work. My pH is at like 8 right now and all the fish I plan on getting need 7.5 at the highest. Any suggestions? Thanks :)

Real plants are always better than fake plants. Some fish (like bettas) can even hurt themselves on plastic plants. But be sure to do research on what kind of plants you can grow, and make sure the plants you get are for aquariums (i.e. not draeceana ribbon plants, thank you very much petsmart...) Research substrates, lighting, and whether they need ferts and co2 and if your fish might eat them (my guppies get the munchies like you would not believe)

I bought a fluval 304 and a 30 gallon tall aqaurium for 50 bucks I thought to my slef maybe I should do some reading. Given what I have learned by reading this thread I have learned alot. I want save and get at leat a 55 gallon tank now. Heres what Im thinking of doing. I want to fully cycle the 30 gallon and fill it with enough gravel substrate for a 55 gallon tank. So when the tank is cycled I want to add the gravel and 304 to the 55 and begin cycling that. Now here are my questions.

I want to have the 55 gallon planted.

Here are my questions. Can I add plants before the tank is cycled, do plants help the cycling process.?

Also is it a good idea to put the water from the 30 in the 55 provided it has good levels and has been cycled?

My fluval 304 is missing the mechancial filter sponge tray? Can just add filter floss and sponge where the tray should go?

Thanks

Here are my questions. Can I add plants before the tank is cycled, do plants help the cycling process.?

Yes, and, yes!

Also is it a good idea to put the water from the 30 in the 55 provided it has good levels and has been cycled?

You don't cycle the water, you cycle the filter. There is a good reason to move the water, in that the fish are already used to the chemistry of it. Rather than putting them in 100% fresh.

saffikeagan said:
Too True!!!!

This place has been a life saver. I just wish when in the crisis moment at the fish store I could access an IM feature via cell to get instant impartial information from everyone here.

Now you can. I have been utilizing it frequently. Thanks everyone

Definately don't assume the guy at the pet store knows what he's talking about...even if he's the owner. If you are doing a fishless cycle DO NOT let him/her sell you an "instant cycle" product. It could mess you up for days!

Real plants are always better than fake plants.

Plus be mindful of where you place your plants.

I had a plastic plant underneath my filter outlet. Trying to hide my heater.

The girlfriend came home to find a dead fish trapped between the plant and heater.

I have since removed the plant. Not happy at my stupidity.

biggest mistake i made with my small tank was changing the filter during the cycling process. this was a bad idea and made the cycling take 2x as long! oh and never use the test strips and invest in a good test kit :D hope that helps someone!

So I've been doing a lot of reading on here and I've learned a lot so far. But I do still have a few questions. So far I have my tank set up, decorated, filled, running, heated. It's been going for 3 days now and I had no choice but to add fish. I understand the benefits of fishless cycle but with it being partly shared with my cousin and she's the one buying the fish so she is calling the shots right now.
I was able to convince her in to only getting a few to start and to pick out some hardier fish.
I tried using a product called bacter vital which claims to help cycle a new tank in three days. And so far I have readings of 0ppm ammonia 0ppm nitrites and 0ppm nitrates with a ph of about 7.8(API master test kit used)
My question is this..if ammonia and nitrites are harmful to fish and should be at zero. Is it ok to have the fish in the tank?
Also, I have a ball of marimo moss from the LFS and planted a water onion if that makes a difference. This is my set up so far..
38 gal fresh water tank
Active(semi-aggressive) community
Mixture of rocks, driftwood, caves, 4 large fake plants, 4 med fake plants, 4 small fake plants, gravel substrate and I also planted a water onion and have a ball of marimo moss.
Fish in the tank right now are two about 1" tiger barbs andaims 1.75" bristle nose pleco.
Any feedback is awesome and criticism as well( just don't be too harsh..please)

Seewa welcome to AA

If your readings are close to 0 in all parameters is because your tank just started, now that you added the fish is when you can expect, sooner than later, an increase in ammonia.
Your goal is to do a much as needed Partial water changes to keep the ammonia as close to 0 ppm.
Also there is not such as hardy fish, maybe some survive better in harsh conditions, but still high levels of ammonia or nitrites can harm and poison any fish.

Good luck, I would also to suggest you to open a new tread in the forum called Getting started, there more people will read your journey and help you better.

Edited so I could just start a new post with my question. Thanks

Not having a test kit.

Setting up your first tank before learning about cycling ( Humf :( ) then stressing over ammo. nitrites and nitrates because you don't have a test kit

Not treating the water for chlorine ( my friend killed a betta this way )

purchasing a ten gallon... when you fancy the wrong fish for them. Had to donate tiger barbs and return mollies :( and trying to figure out what to do with my COMMON PLECO!

Purchasing decor before the necessities. Test kit. Gravel Vac. Aquarium Stands...ETC...

Can you tell i"m a newbie?

biggest mistake i made with my small tank was changing the filter during the cycling process. this was a bad idea and made the cycling take 2x as long! oh and never use the test strips and invest in a good test kit :D hope that helps someone!

Doh...I just did this the other day. Am off to buy test strips today, too!

Mr. Limpet said:
Actually they meant NOT to buy test strips. A good liquid test kit is your best choice IMO/E. I like the API FW Master test kit.

I agree with Mr. Limpet - get a liquid FW test kit. Experience shows that the test strips are so inaccurate they are completely useless.

Thank you for the reminder. I went to a different store today and watched them test with what I think is an API kit...with the tubes? Anywho, that's what I'll be picking up. Now that I saw how it works I can totally see how that's more reliable than the test strips!

Don't trust the pet store employees (especially large chain pet stores) who tell you to "set up the tank and let it run" for x amount of days and then you'll be ready for fish

Don't trust the pet store employees when they tell you your water tests are "good;" invest in an API kit and do it yourself

Read all you can about fish, cycles, etc and learn from others more experienced than you

Back
Top Bottom