Common pleco doing strange things?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

exodus

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've got a common pleco in my 55, and he is very inactive and shy. Usually just sits around sucked to the underside of a rock for most of the day.

But every night (and possibly day, I'm not sure) I'm sitting next to the tank watching the fish, and you see some bubbles come up from the pleco, he races to the top of the tank for some reason, and then dives back to his hiding spot.

You really have to be watching him to see this, as its very very fast.

Is this normal pleco behavior, or is this him gasping for air?

What are your water parameters? Did you do a fishless cycle? I notice your tank is fairly new and may not be cycled yet? It probably is just normal behaviour if none of the other fish are hanging out near the surface. My plecos are more active at night, although to be honest I have never noticed them darting to the surface, but don't watch them very often at night. How often are you doing water changes?

Racing to the surface is common for plecos. My sailfin and BN's do it too. Nothing to worry about unless he starts spending time at the surface gasping.

My pleco loves to ride the air bubbles to the top, fight against them to the bottom and ride them back up. He will do this for minutes at a time. I think he is mentally unstable. Anyway, check your pH. I've had many plecos and have not seen them swim to the surface. Abnormal pH can try to "suffocate" a fish. But your other fish are not showing any signs of distress?

My common pleco also races to the surface. I would double check your water perameters as zagz suggested just to make sure.

Back
Top Bottom