common pleco?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

smomus

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Is this a common or another kind? I thought he was a common but I've had him for 5 months and he hasn't gotten any bigger, so I'm starting to wonder if he is something else?

ForumRunner_20120728_004423.jpg

Common. What size tank is he in and how big is he like 4-5"?

Yes only about 4in. Right now he's in a 30g. He came with the tank as did most of the fish in it. Was my first tank and didn't know the tank isn't big enough. The tank also had a Bala shark that I have since rehomed. Guess I need to start looking for another home for Mr Fred. :(

Yea I agree it's a common, and they seem to have froth spurts then slow down for a bit, but don't worry he should start growing again soon. I have a sailfin plec I got him barley over an inch and he grew to about 5 really fast and hasn't got much bigger since but he will soon enough.

I'm by no means a plec sort of person but to me it looks like its head/ body are sunken in, what are you feeding and how often?

There is also the possibility of the fish being stunted due its current housing, fish release a hormone to retard the growth rates of other fish among other things. This is one of many reasons we change water weekly and while daily changes will produce faster growth.

HUKIT said:
I'm by no means a plec sort of person but to me it looks like its head/ body are sunken in, what are you feeding and how often?

There is also the possibility of the fish being stunted due its current housing, fish release a hormone to retard the growth rates of other fish among other things. This is one of many reasons we change water weekly and while daily changes will produce faster growth.

Oh no! That makes me sad :(
I will look little later what I feed him..being lazy on a Saturday morning..but I have 2 types of pellets I drop in. I also will put peas and cucumber and zucchini in as well.
So it sounds like its imperative then that I rehome the little dude as soon as possible

Ok so I feed him 'omega one sinking veggie tabs' mostly. I drop one in at night when I turn the lights off. Every once in a while I will drop in 'aqueon button feeder tablets' instead. Then once a week I will put sine sort of veggie in. Pea, cucumber, zucchini etc. I also feed my other fish frozen blood worms/brine shrimp once a week but I've never seen him eat those.
Is this good? Or should I be feeding him something else? I'm on my way to Petsmart and the lfs today so if I need to get other food let me know!

bettaowner said:
I would want a bigger tank to house a common pleco.

aquabeast said:
tank is really just too small for the pleco. they need 125 gallons to actually be comfortable..

Thank you. I'm aware. I rehomed a Bala shark that also came with my tank. I bought the tank established and it came with numerous fish. I'm learning that several of them do not belong in it. Until I am able to find another tank to put him in though I want to do all I can.

Back
Top Bottom