Community Aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mikeyy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Looking for suggestions on what other fish i can get in my 125l. Ive currently got 18 Neon Tetras and 2 angel fish.
What else would be compatible with my current fish?

Mikeyy

You might be able to add a small group of bottom feeders, cories or loaches.

I was considering getting a zebra pleco and maybe a few dwarf gourami or swordtails.

Mikeyy

Also there has been discussion over if you can have a Japanese fighting fish in there too. My friend has this with angel fish and the get along fine. Please discuss?

Mikeyy

Honesty, in 125l tank, your tank is pretty stocked with two angels considering they may get pretty big. I've kept bettas in communities before and though they never attacked any fish, they always got very stressed out so I moved them and stopped putting them in communities altogether.

I just strongly suggest not getting a siamese fighting fish as they may potentially get aggressive/stressed out and your angels may become aggressive too.
Also bettas tend to not get along with neon tetras due to their small size and bright colors. Some get along with neons and communities just fine, it really depends on the fish. Female bettas are less aggressive, but I just think it's best not to put them in a tank where they might become stressed out.
They are fish that are best left by themselves.

Your options for bottom dwellers are:
>3 otocinclus catfish
>5 corydora catfish (if you get pygmys, you may get away with 7 or 8)
or
>a few snails, maybe nerites or mystery.

Having small top dwelling fish like swordtails or a honey gourami can be risky with your angels. Sorry but because of the angel fish and their potential semi-aggressive nature, it's kinda hard to stock a tank that size. I think it's best to leave your current setup alone but you might get away with bottom dwellers since they usually stick to the bottom.

But after the bottom feeders your tank is very stocked. Plecos are also VERY high waste producing fish, so those are a no go with your current setup.
Also, are you sure you mean a real zebra pleco? Zebra plecos cost well over 200 dollars. x)

If you want a big community tank with lots of small fish, you would need a separate tank from the angels.

To anyone else: If I'm wrong about anything, please correct me.
Good luck with your tank!

Thanks for your suggestions. The angel fish at the moment are very small and dont seem to be aggressive at all.
Yeah It was a zebra pleco was at the local pet store for £20 I think it was. (Am from the UK by the way)
The tank the angels came from they were with silver dollars would they be ok?
If I removed the angels what would be a good combination.

Mikeyy

Thanks for your suggestions. The angel fish at the moment are very small and dont seem to be aggressive at all.
Yeah It was a zebra pleco was at the local pet store for £20 I think it was. (Am from the UK by the way)
The tank the angels came from they were with silver dollars would they be ok?
If I removed the angels what would be a good combination.

Mikeyy

No problem! You may have either dwarf or young angelfish. I'm not saying all angels are aggressive, it's just a chance you may have to deal with once they get bigger. I hear they become quite territorial, especially with more than one. I've never personally kept angels, but my grandmother has and she said that they would kill any small fish they put into the tank, so she kept them alone. Her angels were adults, though.

I think the ones at your store may be clown plecos, or a different type. Zebra plecos are really rare so they are very, very expensive.
And I think silver dollars should be fine with angels as long as the tank is big enough.
With angels out of the way, you have a huge variety of stocking options!
For example, you could keep:

>18 neon tetras
>1 dwarf honey gourami
>5+ swordtails (3 females, 2 males or 4 females, 1 male)
>1 albino bristlenose pleco

That would be a fully stocked tank. Since plecos have a huge bioload you would need to do a bigger water change each week but if you want a pleco, bristlenoses are the way to go. They stay relatively small compared to other plecos. If you don't want a pleco you have more options to stock smaller fish.
Also be sure to watch your pH level. A majority of those fish are soft water fish, but swordtails are hard water fish so they may not be an option. It can be pulled off if you have the right pH, though. Something inbetween.

Other options would beee

>18 neon tetras
>1 dwarf honey gourami
>5 cherry barbs
>7 albino corydoras or 10 pygmy cories
>4 kuhli loaches or 3 otocinclus catfish

You can also look at many other different kinds of tetras, barbs, gourami, etc for other options. Just be sure to watch their aggression level, pH, and temperature. Very important.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you want other ideas, I can try to think some more stocking options up.

The other angelfish that the owner had would have been fully grown about 3 years old and the were about 4".

I may be incorrect on that front then will check when am next down.

Thats great might stick with the angels a little while longer but if they start to get too big will rehome them or get a different tank just for them.

Will have a look into getting a pleco or maybe a catfish this weekend.

Thanks again for your help.

Mikeyy

Catfish are social. Cories love groups.

125 Liters = about 33g with substrate and decor say about 30 useable gallons.

If Angels grow up with Neons they may be ok. Be aware in the wild adult Angels eat Neons as part of their diet.

Angels are awesome fish. But they need tall enough tanks for their fins and plants to get away from each other.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
The other angelfish that the owner had would have been fully grown about 3 years old and the were about 4".

I may be incorrect on that front then will check when am next down.

Thats great might stick with the angels a little while longer but if they start to get too big will rehome them or get a different tank just for them.

Will have a look into getting a pleco or maybe a catfish this weekend.

Thanks again for your help.

Mikeyy

I think most angels can get up to 6-7" at full size. The minimum size aquarium for 2 angels alone would be 30 gallons, but if you have more you could get another angel. Angels are extremely beautiful fish, so if you're able to get them a aquarium just for them that would be lovely.

I was interested in a zebra pleco as well, but when I went to go look at the prices online, my jaw literally dropped. When I first saw striped raphael catfishes in my lfs I was like oh, those must be zebra plecos! And they're only $11! That's amazing. But turns out they were striped raphael catfish. x)
If I remember right, zebra plecos are endangered in the wild so that's why they're so rare and expensive.

Just be careful which catfish you choose. A lot of catfish are known to eat fish small enough to fit in their mouth, so watch out for their full size. It shouldn't be a problem though. If you end up getting a bristlenose pleco you don't have to worry about that.

Once again, good luck! :D

Back
Top Bottom