Community stock suggestions.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AaronW

Aquarium Advice FINatic
This is what I have currently.

5 Congo tetras
1 gourami
1 rhino Pleco
1 goldfish
1 tiretrack eel
1 Pictus cat

My stock is just about complete. I'd like to add 1 oddball fish and another species of schooling fish. What are gonna be some good tank mates that will fit these requirements?

PS I know I'll get some flak for the goldfish. But I've had him for a couple years now and he does just fine in my tropical tanks.

No on the goldfish. They're cold water fish. You are harming it in the long run.

Ljk09 said:
No on the goldfish. They're cold water fish. You are harming it in the long run.

The water is at 78 degrees. All the fish seem to be
doing fine. I also have nowhere else to put him

AaronW said:
The water is at 78 degrees. All the fish seem to be
doing fine. I also have nowhere else to put him

Goldfish should never be in temperatures more than 73 degrees. Is it a fancy goldfish? Try to get a 20 g to put it in. If its a common or single tailed goldfish, you'll have to rehome it to a pond anyways.

Yeah I know. But we won him at a carnival. To be honest I didn't expect him to live for this long lol.

But can you guys please help me out on my stock? Por favor :D

I got 4 goldies and the water temp is whatever the room temp is, around 78-80. No problems whatsoever.

None, you're already overstocked. The Tire Track can grow to 24+ inches so it's going to need a much larger tank. It can also become aggressive to your other fish as it matures. The Rhino Pleco can grow up to 10" as well and will need a larger tank. What kind of goldfish is it? Koi, commons and comets need ponds.

I do think you're over stocked, but if you trade out your tire track for a peacock eel and get rid of your goldfish you may have some room. The problem with 60 gallon tanks is that they are tall and skinny. Although they're 5 more gallons than a 55 I would never get one because the foot print is so much smaller

librarygirl said:
None, you're already overstocked. The Tire Track can grow to 24+ inches so it's going to need a much larger tank. It can also become aggressive to your other fish as it matures. The Rhino Pleco can grow up to 10" as well and will need a larger tank. What kind of goldfish is it? Koi, commons and comets need ponds.

If they won it at the fair it's more than likely a common.

gravereaper0 said:
I got 4 goldies and the water temp is whatever the room temp is, around 78-80. No problems whatsoever.

None that you can see. Putting fish in the wrong temperature of water stunts their growth and shortens life spans. It doesn't matter if you have no problems, it's still uncomfortable for the fish.

I'm just saying if you're below 80 they're not gonna die. I myself was looking for a water chiller but people here told me my temps are fine.

gravereaper0 said:
I'm just saying if you're below 80 they're not gonna die. I myself was looking for a water chiller but people here told me my temps are fine.

No they won't die you're right about that. IMO (it's just my opinion) 80 is a little much. Have you checked eBay? Sometimes they have cheaper equipment than Dr Foster and Smith and other stores.

You can get a 1/10hp chiller for $400 on eBay which still is pretty pricey and is rated for tanks up to 90 gallons. This month I'm getting a 150 gallon tank that will more then likely need a chiller with the lights and equipment. But atm I'm researching a DIY chiller build out of a mini fridge, copper tubing, a temp probe/relay and a small pump.
With a Craigslist fridge the cost should be under $150

gravereaper0 said:
You can get a 1/10hp chiller for $400 on eBay which still is pretty pricey and is rated for tanks up to 90 gallons. This month I'm getting a 150 gallon tank that will more then likely need a chiller with the lights and equipment. But atm I'm researching a DIY chiller build out of a mini fridge, copper tubing, a temp probe/relay and a small pump.
With a Craigslist fridge the cost should be under $150

That is pricey. DIY is always a good thing lol

Back
Top Bottom