compatability

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishman1234

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey guys. I've got a 125 litre tank with 1 male guppy,1 adult female molly and 2 juveniles. 8 neon tetras. I was wondering if this mix was ok, I like male swordtails but I wouldn't want them to mate, I like platys and wouldn't want them to mate. So I was thinking of getting 2 male swordtails, 2 female platys and 3 more male guppys is all this ok, thanks? :)

fishman1234 said:
Hey guys. I've got a 125 litre tank with 1 male guppy,1 adult female molly and 2 juveniles. 8 neon tetras. I was wondering if this mix was ok, I like male swordtails but I wouldn't want them to mate, I like platys and wouldn't want them to mate. So I was thinking of getting 2 male swordtails, 2 female platys and 3 more male guppys is all this ok, thanks? :)

How many gallons is the tank? And what type of tank is it

fishman1234 said:

The thing is, swordtails and platys interbreed, so you'd wind up with swordies. Lol. I'd go with no females... As they can carry sperm from a male for 3 months, so you'd likely still end up with fry.

IMO that'd be good but id want my tank to look full while your tank wont have any fish on the bottom.

it sounds like it would be ok to me :) Maybe a school of 5-6 corydoras of some kind would be nice for the bottom :)

The thing is, swordtails and platys interbreed, so you'd wind up with swordies. Lol. I'd go with no females... As they can carry sperm from a mail for 3 months, so you'd likely still end up with fry.

right I fogot about that!! You can also check out www.aqadvisor.com for a ROUGH estimate and compatablity check :)

How's about 1 swordie male and 2 female platys, would it make a difference, and do their babys look cute lol?

Was thinking about getting 4 neons, 3 corys, 3 guppies, 2 danios and a plec ontop of what's in tere now and also the swordie and 2 platys :) is tht ok?

fishman1234 said:
How's about 1 swordie male and 2 female platys, would it make a difference, and do their babys look cute lol?

Baby fish are ADORABLE! I've never bred before, but I'm about too. I hear the swordies are pretty cute though. But bump up the female platy number to 3... That way the swordtail isn't harassing one fish as bad. Interbreeding can actually be good for the bloodline. It gets some variation in there.

fishman1234 said:
Was thinking about getting 4 neons, 3 corys, 3 guppies, 2 danios and a plec ontop of what's in tere now and also the swordie and 2 platys :) is tht ok?

Hmm... How about this:
6 neons
6 corys
BRISTLENOSE PLECO!!!
3 male guppies
1 male swordtail
3 female platys

If you'd like you could add the danios, but you'd need a filter upgrade. Also... No common pleco, that's the most common mistake around. They can grow to two feet and need a 125 gallon tank. The bristlenose only grows to 5 inches, and would be perfect for your tank.

fishman1234 said:
Won't it be too crowded then?

Not really. I stock in sections... The 6 cories and pleco stock the bottom,

The neons and/or danios stock the middle

And the platys, guppies, and swordtail would stock the top. Tada! Fully stocked tank!

Right, IF I get te fish I want all togeher I would have 12 neons, 6 corys, 1 plec, 4 male gppuys, 2 female mollys, 1 male swordie and 3 female platys

Back
Top Bottom