Compatability

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SkullJug

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi all,

I am setting up a five gallon for my daughter (11 weeks old). I am going to ramp up the lighting and plant it with glosso and 1 small sword. I was thinking of putting in a betta, dwarf gourami and a GBR.

Does anyone know if these are compatable. I know the betta and gourami are but am not sure about the GBR.

I am also wondering if anyone knows if I can keep a couple of ottos in such a small tank.

Thanks for your reply although I have always kept bettas with dwarf gouramis - No problems.

I know the tank is pretty small but I've got pretty good filtration in the tank - Awesome filtration acutally and with glosso pumping in the tank nitrate won't be much of a problem. These three fish are all delicate eaters and will be fed only live food so I will be able to keep the bio load to a minimum and know the tank will easily handle three small fish.

Does anyone have any experience with GBRs with Bettas or Dwarf Gouramis?

Well I'm afraid my experience has been more to the liking of Rich's reply. I've tried mixing GBR's and a betta and the betta completely picked the GBR almost to death. That said, I've had a dwarf gourami almost pick a betta to death. If you really want to mix them, be prepared to take atleast one of them back.

I have to agree with the other two. If you're going to mix them, get a bigger tank. 5g tanks are small and I don't think a GBR belongs in one. They can be sensitive to water quality and while you will have good filtration and plants, small tanks are not as stable as big ones. I just wouldn't risk putting a GBR in there. For a tank under 10g, I'd stick with just a betta. The reason is more the tank size, and not the biofilter.

Advice taken - No GBR. Will go with the Betta and Dwarf gourami and probably one other (Not sure about this)

Thanks for your help. My smallest tank to date is a 75g so It's a bit tricky working with 5! That being said the water changes are a breeze!!

Back
Top Bottom