Compatibility

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Can I kept frontosa and bumblebee with yellow lab and auratus

What size tank and what numbers of each?

Basically, I'd say no. Fronts reach 14" plus and DO eat fish in he wild. They are also a social species, living in large groups in Tanganyika (not Malawi like the others)

Bumblebee (crabro) are a large Mbuna that needs a decent tank size. These are also quite aggressive.

Yellow labs are a more peaceful Mbuna (by Mbuna standards) and will be picked on by the crabro and auratus.

Auratus are a highly aggressive species, with some individuals being generally calm, while others are homicidal.

I hav 75 gallon tank 1 bumblebee and 1 frontosa I bought today ,I already have 2 auratus,2 yellow lab and 1 kenyi

Last edited by a moderator:
I hav 75 gallon tank 1 bumblebee and 1 frontosa I bought today ,I already hav 2 auratus,2 yellow lab and 1 kenyi

A 75 is not large enough for an adult frontosa, they require a 6' tank minimum. They are also a different lake.

I'm assuming these are all young fish? If so, you are playing with fire unfortunately. Kenyi, auratus, and bumblebee are all volatile species and will present aggression issues once they hit sexual maturation around 4-5". I would be surprised to see your labs survive long term. Plus, in order to reduce aggression with highly aggressive species, proper male to female ratios are crucial. There should be 1 male to every 3-4 females, in order to properly setup a hierarchy within a species.

Agreed. Take the fromtosa back ASAP am rethink your stocking. It stinks because I'm sure your like the rest of us and started getting stock from petsmart or something where they always have the species you're starting with. They're easy to sell to unsuspecting people that haven't researched because they look so nice.

There's so many mbuna that would be great in a 75 but are harder to find local and you need to order online or special order thru yer lfs.

Thanks a lot ,I will return both bumblebee ,frontosa .i have find one good store in our area ,they have lots of Chiclids,I think of so many kind,can you please tell me some names which can live in 75 gallon .

Last edited by a moderator:
Cobalt zebras and red/orange zebras are available in most spots as well as Snow White Socolofi. Maingano also. There are so many that are likely not available that are found in specific stores or online. Like saulosi, flavus, hara white top, Polit, perlmutt. Here's the trusty link. Look at the profiles and see what u like. Then search for dealers online or ask your local store if they can get them.

Oh and getting 2 of each is bad idea. Better for a single or a group of 4+ of each type.

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/category.php?cat=2

Cobalt zebras and red/orange zebras are available in most spots as well as Snow White Socolofi. Maingano also. There are so many that are likely not available that are found in specific stores or online. Like saulosi, flavus, hara white top, Polit, perlmutt. Here's the trusty link. Look at the profiles and see what u like. Then search for dealers online or ask your local store if they can get them.

Oh and getting 2 of each is bad idea. Better for a single or a group of 4+ of each type.

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/category.php?cat=2

Thanks a lot

Back
Top Bottom