Complete Tank Rescape!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I may have missed this, but have you had the angel for long? Has it ever acted weird?

I've had both of them since Saturday. The white one was a little weird, he didn't eat at all. But the black one looked healthy and ate every time I fed the fish! I have no clue why he died.

The white angel must of died during the night cause he was alive when I went to bed.

The black one was alive this morning when I found the white one dead, and then came home and he was dead to! It was so weird !

I've had both of them since Saturday. The white one was a little weird, he didn't eat at all. But the black one looked healthy and ate every time I fed the fish! I have no clue why he died.

The white angel must of died during the night cause he was alive when I went to bed.

The black one was alive this morning when I found the white one dead, and then came home and he was dead to! It was so weird !

Some fish are just to weak to handle to stress being bagged, sent to the store and un bagged and released into an unfamiliar tank, bagged again and released into another unfamiliar tank once you get it home. I had that happen to a ram once, it are but very little. Sometimes you just have mystery deaths. I know it's not a good feeling and is aggravating not knowing why but it does happen. Sorry you lost him :(

Okay so I went to the lfs and and got a refund on the 2 angels and decided to finally get 2 albino Kribs :) hopefully the do better!

image-1898568774.jpg

Any advice on Kribs would be helpful!

Okay so I went to the lfs and and got a refund on the 2 angels and decided to finally get 2 albino Kribs :) hopefully the do better!

Any advice on Kribs would be helpful!

They'll get slaughtered no doubt. Ur bottom is already way over stocked. 2 more isn't going to work out!

They'll get slaughtered no doubt. Ur bottom is already way over stocked. 2 more isn't going to work out!

Well that's not good! I'll see how it goes and ill return em if things get to aggressive. So far so good tho! I just added them in

I also bought a live plant. It's called wisteria. I put in place of a plastic plant. The tanks slowly starting to come together :) do any of you know of they are low-med-or high light? Also how large do they grow?

While adding the plant, I also removed the ugly green plastic one from in front of the tank, looks much better.

Here's a FTS

image-2931926722.jpg

image-1989062590.jpg

image-2933579764.jpg

It is a Hygrophilia difformis (Water wiisteria) they are a low/medium plant that feeds both from the bottom roots and will send out roots into the water column. They are an easy to grow plant with medium growth rate. Put a root tab in your gravel/rocks about an inch away and put about 1 ml of liquid plant food once a week and it should do great. It will take about a week after planting to start growing. Once it gets too tall, pull it up, trim some off the bottom stem and stick back down into the gravel. It doesn't require CO2 injection but once you get alot of it growing, you may want to try some liquid co2 to help it along.
The light green plants in the picture of my 30g in the left background is this. That picture was taken when the plants were 4 days in. (about 2/20/13) They are now almost touching the top water level. I'd estimate they are a medium user of nitrates. Will help the fish. It should grow in about 1.5 to 2.0 watts per gallon of light intensity.
So sorry about your angels! They are about my favorite.
Caudially, OS.

It is a Hygrophilia difformis (Water wiisteria) they are a low/medium plant that feeds both from the bottom roots and will send out roots into the water column. They are an easy to grow plant with medium growth rate. Put a root tab in your gravel/rocks about an inch away and put about 1 ml of liquid plant food once a week and it should do great. It will take about a week after planting to start growing. Once it gets too tall, pull it up, trim some off the bottom stem and stick back down into the gravel. It doesn't require CO2 injection but once you get alot of it growing, you may want to try some liquid co2 to help it along.
The light green plants in the picture of my 30g in the left background is this. That picture was taken when the plants were 4 days in. (about 2/20/13) They are now almost touching the top water level. I'd estimate they are a medium user of nitrates. Will help the fish. It should grow in about 1.5 to 2.0 watts per gallon of light intensity.
So sorry about your angels! They are about my favorite.
Caudially, OS.

Thanks for the info! The plant should grow well in the tank!

Hate to be the bear of bad news but I but I have more...:( one of the Kribs I bought today is already not looking very good! He's swimming sideways and breathing heavy. None of the other fish are bullying him, I think the employee just gave us a sick one. I put him in a breeder net so he wouldn't struggle and so the flow wouldn't throw him around. I hope he pulls through !!

Darn warrior. You're having some really bad luck. So sorry. You know, there must be a heck of a lot of difference in fish stores. I bought 6 neons from a small privately owned pet store and they have done great for over four months now. I bought six more from our big box chain pet store just two weeks ago and every one of them have died. Even though they were in the same tank with the original six. Go figure!
A guy told me to buy the fish one day before they get their next shipment. The thinking is that if they're still healthy after one week, they should be OK. Guess I need to try that.
life & luck, OS.

Darn warrior. You're having some really bad luck. So sorry. You know, there must be a heck of a lot of difference in fish stores. I bought 6 neons from a small privately owned pet store and they have done great for over four months now. I bought six more from our big box chain pet store just two weeks ago and every one of them have died. Even though they were in the same tank with the original six. Go figure!
A guy told me to buy the fish one day before they get their next shipment. The thinking is that if they're still healthy after one week, they should be OK. Guess I need to try that.
life & luck, OS.

I know! I usually buy my fish from Petco cause my lfs stock selection isn't very big. I have had good luck with my GBR's from Petco (knock on wood) but so far nether of they angels lived and I don't think the krib will pull through :( the other female krib still looks healthy tho

Woke up this morning to find the male krib dead

:( gonna have to go back and exchange him later.

Did you see any injuries in him at all? If not maybe it was just bad stock.

Definitely thinking it was just bad stock. He was breathing heavy and Didn't look heathy at all once he was in the tank :(

My dwarf gourami ive had for 5 months just died today :( this is terrible!! He got stuck to the filter just like my angel. I plan on taking back the dead krib for a refund and returning the other one cause I don't plan on getting more.

I'm just gonna get a school of 6-8 fish.

My dwarf gourami ive had for 5 months just died today :( this is terrible!! He got stuck to the filter just like my angel. I plan on taking back the dead krib for a refund and returning the other one cause I don't plan on getting more.

I'm just gonna get a school of 6-8 fish.

Just as a test j wouldn't get anymore fish from that store. May just be a string of bad luck of stock from that particular store... But I wouldn't buy again from them. Try and find a local pet or fish store and try their stock, considering the tanks look healthy. Every single on of my fish have came from my LFS and I have only lost two fish within atleast a 6 month period, and even then I'm 100% sure it was bad stock because the fish died the next day after me getting them. I took them back and they were replaced and the replacement fish are perfectly fine.

Just as a test j wouldn't get anymore fish from that store. May just be a string of bad luck of stock from that particular store... But I wouldn't buy again from them. Try and find a local pet or fish store and try their stock, considering the tanks look healthy. Every single on of my fish have came from my LFS and I have only lost two fish within atleast a 6 month period, and even then I'm 100% sure it was bad stock because the fish died the next day after me getting them. I took them back and they were replaced and the replacement fish are perfectly fine.

My LFS is very nice also. I've never seen sick fish, anything other than crystal clear tanks, and informed employees. But they're EXPENSIVE. 6$ for a neon tetra?

My LFS is very nice also. I've never seen sick fish, anything other than crystal clear tanks, and informed employees. But they're EXPENSIVE. 6$ for a neon tetra?

That is a bit high. Are all other fish that expensive?

Okay so I'm finally back with GOOD news lol. I moved some things around in the tank and will be heading back to the lfs Saturday to pick up stuff. I took out the ugly piece of fake DW and it really opens up the tank. I also angled the ugly cave and I moved some rocks around. What I plan on doing is buying some more plants (btw the wisteria is ready showing growth!) that grow tall and I also plan on buying a piece of DW to replace the cave. I want tall background plants, any suggestions?!? :) they need to be low-moderate light.

For stock I finally decided on what I want and I don't think it's to demanding.

2 German blue rams
8 cherry barbs
4 spotted Cory's
1 albino Bn pleco

How does that sound ? :)

Of course, here's some pics :)

FTS

image-582621440.jpg

Gravel work with Anubias

image-613831352.jpg

Here's where the wisteria is and I plan on adding some water sprite next to it.

image-3302417414.jpg

Here's where the cave is and is where ill put the DW

image-3318431398.jpg

I plan on taking this out and putting some type of sword plant in its place.

image-3580376506.jpg

What's some tall plants that grow quick? Also give me some aqua scape ideas if you have any good ones ! :)

Look at the Myriophylums. I have some Myrio. pinnatum and I love it. Medium light, grows fast, nice true green color. Just cut a lttle off the end and stick in the gravel 2 to 4 ". Feeds from bottom some but also feeds from the water. Good background plant and hiding place for shy fish. Easy to get more plants by saving some trimmings and replanting. Not your only choice but one to consider. OS.

Back
Top Bottom