confused about filter media change

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sansouci01

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok...I have an emperor 400 hob filter. I change both filter cartridges monthly as stated on package. I have never had a problem with my tank as far as mini cycles or anything else. Now I here about seeding your media when changing. Should I only change one cartridge at a time or, because I have bio wheels it wouldn't matter

I used to have a biowheel, I don't bother anymore. I usually use filter pad cut to size in the slots for the cartridges. The front one is the oldest and the one closest to the output is the newest. I seed the new one 2-3 weeks then chuck the old one. I always have 2 filter pads in there. I saved a load in cartridges. I haven't bought any in over a year, i spent like 5-8 bucks on the filter pad roll. brand name. I also have plants so it doesn't make sense to use carbon. The reason you don't change both filter pads at the same time, is because most of your Beneficial Bacteria are on your filter pads.

thanks for the info. guess marineland wants you change once a month so they can make 11 bucks off me...lol

yep, they want you to buy filters because they make money. I have one penguin 150b on a 20 high with 10 baby fish. 2 filter pads, no problem. So for the last year I spent 7ish bucks and you spent 11 per month? I'd do a little research, maybe this will work for you.

I agree with ocean girl. I run 2 150s on my 20 tall. I actually modified my cartridges to remove the carbon and as these need to be replaced I'm going to prob switch them out with pads. Rotating the change outs and spacing it a few weeks.

Back
Top Bottom