Confusing water readings, ideas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cmw9787

Aquarium Advice Activist
I've had my 75 gallon tank up for about a month now and the ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate level readings I'm getting are really confusing me. About 2 weeks in, I had a nitrite spike but since then all three readings have been at 0. I only do weekly water changes so I would expect one of the three readings to be above zero. I have a few plants, but I highly doubt they're actually absorbing all nitrates in the water (though I could be wrong I guess).

I'm using the API master test kit. I also had my LFS test my water and they get the same readings. Ideas???

about 30 small fish. mollies, platies, neon tetras, tiger barbs, and a few others.

yea, it is. anyone know what might be happening here though?

If that really is the case - If my single anacharis, green myrio, and wysteria plants are really absorbing all nitrates, does that mean that weekly water changes aren't as necessary? I'll still do them, but i'm just curious?

If that really is the case - If my single anacharis, green myrio, and wysteria plants are really absorbing all nitrates, does that mean that weekly water changes aren't as necessary? I'll still do them, but i'm just curious?

What is your maintenance schedule like? Do you dose excel or anything for the plants? Wysteria I believe soak trates fast. If your quality always reads good then I'd go to every two weeks.

I replace between 25 and 35 percent of the water every week. I use Prime as my water conditioner. I don't use any plant food at the moment but I've been trying to find something cheap and effective that won't harm the fish in any way. Root Tabs and similar products are stupid expensive in my opinion though.

Back
Top Bottom