Constipated, dropsy, or just fat?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
SUBTLE!

More seriously, there were new additions of plants. I assume untreated. I did say I'm not a goldfish pro just a fish freak!

Also additional stock was added (rescued I believe) including new loach.

Also, put the handbags away! Let's try and resolve this issue for the obviously concerned owner. School gates at 3:30, deal with it then!:ROFLMAO:

Two good minds and me, fix it.

SUBTLE!

More seriously, there were new additions of plants. I assume untreated. I did say I'm not a goldfish pro just a fish freak!

Also additional stock was added (rescued I believe) including new loach.

Also, put the handbags away! Let's try and resolve this issue for the obviously concerned owner. School gates at 3:30, deal with it then!:ROFLMAO:

Two good minds and me, fix it.

lol

I would bet a L046 that fish is gravid - no constipation, no worms

Right I appreciate all of your experienced views but I'm still in a desperate situation, if she is gravid I should put the other fish in yes? But the other fish that was doing the chasing doesn't have tubercles, either way if I put the other fish back and the female has worms, then both fish will be infected, which is a no go.
And I definitely don't want to put her back in the main tank, because if there's a risk that she could infect all my fish, I don't want too take that.

I have noticed in her vent a little tube (it's more on one side then the other, don't symmetrically down the middle?) and when I handled her and put her upside down, it seemed like she was almost tensing it and it looked like it was nearly protruding outward, so I let go off her incase she was feeling stressed.

I'm seeing if I can get some Epsom after
College, I'm going to give her a salt bath as the first move and see where that gets me, as hard as it may seem being told different things by different people is making me feel powerless on what to do.

The main thing id like to say is, she hasn't made any waste for the past 6 odd weeks (that I have seen) so I'm guessing she must have something wrong with her? But then again I know nothing about breeding in fish, literally.

All help appreciated! :)

Found this in the tank with the female, can't tell what it is?

May it's just mouldy food, I found some under the lid a few days ago? Or maybe something else, I don't know what do you guys think?

Attachments

• image-1094869834.jpg
    image-1094869834.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 37
  • image-1185797844.jpg
    image-1185797844.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 35
  • image-2916821876.jpg
    image-2916821876.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 38
Right I appreciate all of your experienced views but I'm still in a desperate situation, if she is gravid I should put the other fish in yes? But the other fish that was doing the chasing doesn't have tubercles, either way if I put the other fish back and the female has worms, then both fish will be infected, which is a no go.
And I definitely don't want to put her back in the main tank, because if there's a risk that she could infect all my fish, I don't want too take that.

I have noticed in her vent a little tube (it's more on one side then the other, don't symmetrically down the middle?) and when I handled her and put her upside down, it seemed like she was almost tensing it and it looked like it was nearly protruding outward, so I let go off her incase she was feeling stressed.

I'm seeing if I can get some Epsom after
College, I'm going to give her a salt bath as the first move and see where that gets me, as hard as it may seem being told different things by different people is making me feel powerless on what to do.

The main thing id like to say is, she hasn't made any waste for the past 6 odd weeks (that I have seen) so I'm guessing she must have something wrong with her? But then again I know nothing about breeding in fish, literally.

All help appreciated! :)

A female in spawning condition will have a swollen vent as you describe and that will appear 'tube like'.

If she does have worms - and I honestly think this is breeding condition after your descriptions of the other fish and from the photos - then putting her back in the main tank shouldn't make a difference. You have owned the fish for some years, so if she does ave worms... as jmcpeak says.... she must have contracted it from some introduction into the tank, in which case, your other fish are likely to already be infected.

I truly believe that fish is just swollen with eggs and I suspect that if you slowly reduced the temperature and the amount of light per day, and with the absence of other stimulants (male fish, spawning media etc) she will eventually re-absorb the eggs. I believe that if the fish had intestinal worms in an infestation enough to swell the body that much, she would

A. be swollen uniformally, i.e. both sides of the body, not just the right side as it seems from you photo.

B. be in a state of depleted health, possibly with fin deterioration and with bacterial infection

I will see if I have any photos of gravid goldfish... I think I only have ones of hand stripping carp, but will have a look. Meanwhile, if you can photograph the vents of both your comet/goldfish, I may be able to sex them for you if the photos are clear enough.

Found this in the tank with the female, can't tell what it is?

May it's just mouldy food, I found some under the lid a few days ago? Or maybe something else, I don't know what do you guys think?

This looks to me like a seed that has germinated, but then rotted a little. I don't think it is anything to worry about

Right thanks for that pip, im afraid I'll have to get these pictures for you tomorrow as I've just been sick and I'm now coming up with a fever, I think I need to go to bed right now:(

Having lack of sleep worrying about my Goldie doesn't help:(

Do you just want pictures of both the vents? Anymore areas then just ask, all my fish are very relaxed when I handle them so shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Try and get the whole belly including the vent.

I have a pick of a gravid carp just before stripping - I will post that... not sure it will help.

Hope you feel better soon

72169-albums13562-picture64207t.jpg

This is a female carp just before hand stripping. The fish has been anaesthetised. You can see she is swollen with eggs. At this stage, the whole belly looks swollen as the eggs have fully hydrated and dropped to the lower part of the ovary ready for release

Okay I will do, and thank you, will have a pic up asap, The picture isn't the clearest but I do see a lovely fat fish (mirror carp maybe)?

my first thought of my fish was being gravid, but I isolated her because she was getting tired and struggled abit to hover, a day after she was fine and I put the other fish in with her, didn't see much mating but I'm guessing it's a tight squeeze and this hospital tank isn't an ideal size for any fish that I own, I guess it's temporarily for now.

In the meantime I have reason to believe you and jlk both know tons of knowledge, just different views. As does Jamie! I think the best thing would be too work together on what I should do next, without any quarrels.

If it comes to it, I would be willing to put her into my main tank, IF you guys thing it's definitely a good idea. Only problem is is that I don't want her eating the flakes and pellets that I feed my other fish,

I think veggies would be the best at this moment in time. (What the heck do I know haha)

Your help is muchly appreciated all of you. Goodnight for now.

She will be fine with flakes and pellets, veggies won't necessarily help, even if the fish is constipated... frozen or live food is petter. A good varied diet is best. Earthworms are one of the finest foods you can feed any fish - rich in very high quality protein, so very digestible. Most time, you won't see your fish defecate, they eject faeces quickly.... if it is hanging from them, then that is constipation.

Tons of knowledge isn't always a benefit - it is whether you understand it and can relay it that matters. It is up to the question master to determine what is advice and what is just a view based on limited experience and outdated concepts. I joined the forum to try and offer, maybe, some 'outside the box' thinking, based on my experience of many aspects of aquatics. despite what some posters have suggested in response to my posts, it is possible to glean new concepts by looking at other areas of aquatic management... we are all aquatic managers here, just some have never been outside the confines of the glass walls of their tanks.

Tons of knowledge isn't always a benefit - it is whether you understand it and can relay it that matters. It is up to the question master to determine what is advice and what is just a view based on limited experience and outdated concepts. I joined the forum to try and offer, maybe, some 'outside the box' thinking, based on my experience of many aspects of aquatics. despite what some posters have suggested in response to my posts, it is possible to glean new concepts by looking at other areas of aquatic management... we are all aquatic managers here, just some have never been outside the confines of the glass walls of their tanks.

Knowledge is only as good as it's context and application. There's definitely a different approach to ornamental aquaria and industrial operations, and while I agree that there's a degree of overlap, I don't think everything crosses between the two well. For instance, with jlk's objection to stripping. While in industry it's a commonly used approach, the conditions are different. Many of those fish, as you mentioned previously, are hormonally induced such that you are near 100% confident that they are egg bearing, whereas in this case there is reasonable suspicion that that may not be the case. Additionally, in an industry setting, most people performing these maneuvers would have been trained by (or at least supervised by) experienced professionals. I can potentially see where things can go wrong if you have an amateur squeezing a parasite ridden or dropsied fish. Jlk's concerns seem perfectly reasonable to me, as does your perspective.

I, for one, appreciate your alternate viewpoint to an otherwise stagnant hobby.

I've said it before on this post, I'll be more than happy to be wrong!
What else, I'm not a goldfish pro, just a fish freak.

Just my opinion based on my knowledge, I agree though, differences should always be set aside for the greater good.

I have had experience with "pip" elsewhere, no worries, he seems like a decent chap. My life experiences teach me that education can offend or intimidate some folks, I choose to try to absorb the knowledge if my mind can achieve a new skill set I'm better for it.

Also I am a joker! I try to find the humorous side of all events, it's my coping mechanism in action.

Petty squabbles are for children. Education is for everyone.

At least something is finally happening! (y)

Final note, fish are fish, industrial scale or otherwise, practice should be the same, but again that is my opinion.
I believe the more educated should teach the less educated even if you were the educator turned pupil, help or aid assistance is the single greatest motion that can be offered by humanity. Excepting error is noble, that is how to form a proper community, one where all are equal, the same perch for all people.
Help a man to his feet so that he may walk freely among his brothers.

Knowledge is only as good as it's context and application. There's definitely a different approach to ornamental aquaria and industrial operations, and while I agree that there's a degree of overlap, I don't think everything crosses between the two well. For instance, with jlk's objection to stripping. While in industry it's a commonly used approach, the conditions are different. Many of those fish, as you mentioned previously, are hormonally induced such that you are near 100% confident that they are egg bearing, whereas in this case there is reasonable suspicion that that may not be the case. Additionally, in an industry setting, most people performing these maneuvers would have been trained by (or at least supervised by) experienced professionals. I can potentially see where things can go wrong if you have an amateur squeezing a parasite ridden or dropsied fish. Jlk's concerns seem perfectly reasonable to me, as does your perspective.

I, for one, appreciate your alternate viewpoint to an otherwise stagnant hobby.

You are a gentleman sir, and you have certainly taught me new things on here.

I would say that hormone inducement, in my experience has just been to ensure the end result. It is possible to judge a fish's closeness to spawning by visual and handling methods, but as you say, mostly to the trained eye. If the fish is 'ready,' only very slight pressure is required to aid the expulsion of the eggs.

I've said it before on this post, I'll be more than happy to be wrong!
What else, I'm not a goldfish pro, just a fish freak.

Just my opinion based on my knowledge, I agree though, differences should always be set aside for the greater good.

I have had experience with "pip" elsewhere, no worries, he seems like a decent chap. My life experiences teach me that education can offend or intimidate some folks, I choose to try to absorb the knowledge if my mind can achieve a new skill set I'm better for it.

Also I am a joker! I try to find the humorous side of all events, it's my coping mechanism in action.

Petty squabbles are for children. Education is for everyone.

At least something is finally happening! (y)

Final note, fish are fish, industrial scale or otherwise, practice should be the same, but again that is my opinion.
I believe the more educated should teach the less educated even if you were the educator turned pupil, help or aid assistance is the single greatest motion that can be offered by humanity. Excepting error is noble, that is how to form a proper community, one where all are equal, the same perch for all people.
Help a man to his feet so that he may walk freely among his brothers.

Well said my friend and you are right.... even got a fish name in your post :D

Sorry for the wait, been out all day. Here some pictures of the vent area, there not the clearest and I don't think they'll help but there they are.

I've just bought some Epsom salts (pic) which I believe are right. I'm going to go giver her a salt bath, hopefully goes well

Attachments

• image-391841329.jpg
    image-391841329.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 49
  • image-2660088427.jpg
    image-2660088427.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 44
  • image-2580370892.jpg
    image-2580370892.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 42
Also, should I put her back into the main tank?

And also what's the reading for how much salt per water and should I do a dip or a long term bath?

I did 1tsp (leveled off) for the one gallon container I have, not massive I know but all my buckets and other things are dirty as hell.

15minutes should do the trick yes?

And how many times a day and for how many consecutive days?

Back
Top Bottom