Contaminated Water Siphon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kimlafeiet

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi all,
I am dealing with some kind of disease in my 55g tropical tank, see my post in the unhealthy fish forum (please, I need as much advice as I can get at this point)
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f17/possible-columnaris-help-252702.html

Question is, I used my water changer spihon that connects to my sink to do my pwc yesterday, and now I am not sure how to clean it because I also use it on my other large tank. I do NOT want to risk contaminating the other tank with something. I did my pwc on that tank today the old fashioned way with a regular siphon and buckets, but I need to know how to clean my water changer so I can use it next time. Can I run a bleach water solution through it, then soak it in prime water? Would I be able to get all the traces of bleach out of the hose?
Any suggestions would be great, thank you

You could just run some vinager and boiling water through it, IME, that should solve yer problem.

If you use the siphon to both remove and replace water, then you will need a new siphon. I use two siphons - one to remove, one to replace water. Also, I spray 1:3 bleach solution in the removal siphon front end and flush throughout the hose (and then rinse) to ensure that the part that hits the tank water is free of pathogens so that when I use in another tank, I'm not spreading any disease.

You could just run some vinager and boiling water through it, IME, that should solve yer problem.

Boiling water shouldn't be used in the hose. It will damage the hose and possibly some of the plastic parts! I would use the bleach instead. Make a big bucket of bleach solution to suck through the system, flip the switch and just flush water through it for a long time from the faucet, then refill the bucket with water and a whole lot of prime and run that through the system.

Thanks for the tips! I will run the bleach solution through it and then the prime. I only have the 1 python hose system, so using seperate siphons isn't a long-term option without hauling buckets of water., but I don't want to risk infecting another tank with something either.
Do you guys clean your hose with a bleach solution after every use?

Thanks for the tips! I will run the bleach solution through it and then the prime. I only have the 1 python hose system, so using seperate siphons isn't a long-term option without hauling buckets of water., but I don't want to risk infecting another tank with something either.
Do you guys clean your hose with a bleach solution after every use?

Buy another one for filling in your tanks. Bleaching every time is not recommended since you may accidentally poison your fish one day or introduce pathogens. It's also alot of work. Just disconnect one after the other. Couldn't be simpler.

The only one you need to clean with bleach after use is the Python used to drain the tanks. And you only really need to bleach the head part that enters your tank.

Just rinse well and flush the system once, and drain the hose fully so that there's no more water in the hose.

Back
Top Bottom