Converting to Salt and Needing Advice and Opinions Please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

msumpter87

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have been keeping freshwater tanks for many years and now I am looking to find a new challenge in fishkeeping. Saltwater is something that I have always wanted to do and I am finally prepared to do it but I wish to take my time and do it right. I am going to start with a fish and live rock tank first and if I am successful I might move on to corals later on. But I am getting ahead of myself, currently I have a drilled 75 gallon tank with a full sump system. The pump I have to run this sump is a marineland maxi jet 4500. In its current configuration it will pump around 3-400 gph. I am also looking to buy a protein skimmer and I was looking at something like the marineland marine pro 100. I will be putting this in the sump. I also have a 250 watt heater and can add a powerhead if anybody thinks that might be a good idea. My first question will be does anybody see any problems with this configuration?? Like I said I want to do this right. Any and all advice is appreciated, I have never done salt but from the research I have done I think this might work. This tank is currently empty and will remain that way until I have everything in place. I have other questions but I want to get my basic setup out of the way first. Thanx in advance.

Hi msumpter. Sorry I don't have answers, but I am also looking to make the transition like yourself so i will be following this thread. Hope you don't mind if I chip in with my own questions along the way? Otherwise I will start my own thread. :)

if you have a drilled tank, sump and return pump you're ready to go with a FOWLR (fish only with live rock) I'm not sure about the return pump 3~400 gph may not be enough depending on your overflow

my return pump is 1200 gph but it all depends on your overflow and yes you need a skimmer, but when you get into corals you will need a good skimmer no the one you mentioned

for fish only tank you can run any skimmer, when you get into reefing you will upgrade
lights, skimmers, reactors and possibly your tank :whistle:

I went out and traded for a return pump with a flow rate of 600 gph. So hopefully that will work just fine. Im not sure when i will start adding corals and get into reefing. My plans was to get the basics down first and have this tank running for at least a year. My next question is what would be the best substrate?? I read people use crushed coral, argonite, all live sand and even pool filter sand. What would be my best choice?? I have used pool sand in the past in my fw tanks but do not know if its safe to use in sw tank.

I went out and traded for a return pump with a flow rate of 600 gph. So hopefully that will work just fine. Im not sure when i will start adding corals and get into reefing. My plans was to get the basics down first and have this tank running for at least a year. My next question is what would be the best substrate?? I read people use crushed coral, argonite, all live sand and even pool filter sand. What would be my best choice?? I have used pool sand in the past in my fw tanks but do not know if its safe to use in sw tank.

I wouldn't use pool filter sand, go to your LFS and get some "Live Sand"

img_2692457_0_3bcacd132818e0416a64c832b4e40ebd.jpg

I got 40lbs of the exact same sand new in the package off craigslist for cheap from somebody so im good to go on my substrate. Next purchase will be a protein skimmer. I am hoping to have this tank up and running by the end of next month.

Back
Top Bottom