Convict fry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pcdebb

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I just discovered a surprise in my 29 gallon. I got a breeding pair in there, and I have swimming fry already. Didn't have a clue until an hour or so ago when doin a water change.

When can I start feeding them? I have baby brine shrimp (frozen kind). The mother is definitely doing her job right now, papa is nearby, the other two are on the other end of the tank :D

I just discovered a surprise in my 29 gallon. I got a breeding pair in there, and I have swimming fry already. Didn't have a clue until an hour or so ago when doin a water change.

When can I start feeding them? I have baby brine shrimp (frozen kind). The mother is definitely doing her job right now, papa is nearby, the other two are on the other end of the tank :D

If they are swimming around, start feeding 2-3 times a day. What kind of fish do you have with them? Also, you want to make sure the fry are getting food and the parents and other fish don't just eat it all.
I would separate the fry into a qt tank by themselves so that they don't get eaten by other fish and they will get enough food.

If they spawned now, there will be many more to come soon XD. I have a convict infestation. You can literally give them flake food if you crush it a bit. My convict pair takes the larger pieces and blows it at the fry so they can eat. No brine shrimp needed... The parents are also very good at taking care of fry, so unless you have tigerbarbs or anything similar, you can leave them in without many casualties.

If they spawned now, there will be many more to come soon XD. I have a convict infestation. You can literally give them flake food if you crush it a bit. My convict pair takes the larger pieces and blows it at the fry so they can eat. No brine shrimp needed... The parents are also very good at taking care of fry, so unless you have tigerbarbs or anything similar, you can leave them in without many casualties.

Yeah. I've heard that convicts are really good parents. :)

My convict eggs hatched this morning so this will be helpful. Can I feed them cyclopes.

My convict eggs hatched this morning so this will be helpful. Can I feed them cyclopes.

I think cyclops are a bit big. You can try but only the newly hatched baby cyclops will be small enough. Aren't cyclops a lot more expensive than brine shrimp?

I think cyclops are a bit big. You can try but only the newly hatched baby cyclops will be small enough. Aren't cyclops a lot more expensive than brine shrimp?

They are :) you can feed them this expensive food but honestly, save some money and feed the fry crushed flakes XD

I only have just the 4 convicts in the tank. The mother isn't letting anybody near her and the fry. It looks like I have her, the male, and he other two look like females. That will give the male something to do ;). I feed the adults bloodworms and flakes, and fed the fry bbs making sure I put it in on opposite ends of the tank.

i have some fuelleborni fry i feed them nls fry formula it is literally a powder flake food will work but it will only just sustain them. you can though take a mixture of different foods grind them to a powder and that will work better than just flakes.

I only have just the 4 convicts in the tank. The mother isn't letting anybody near her and the fry. It looks like I have her, the male, and he other two look like females. That will give the male something to do ;). I feed the adults bloodworms and flakes, and fed the fry bbs making sure I put it in on opposite ends of the tank.

Wow. 1 male and 3 females! You are going to have a lot of babies. Lol. Do the fry go for the food or do they wait for the food to float down?

Wow. 1 male and 3 females! You are going to have a lot of babies. Lol. Do the fry go for the food or do they wait for the food to float down?

Ditto, lots of babies.
The fry will wait for the food, but as they mature they will go for the food. Mine started jumping for food themselves at one month old.

It's also very easy to tell a male from a female. The females sides are orange and their fins are generally more colorful. The males lack orange sides and their fins are usually a faint blue to red.

Ditto, lots of babies.
The fry will wait for the food, but as they mature they will go for the food. Mine started jumping for food themselves at one month old.

It's also very easy to tell a male from a female. The females sides are orange and their fins are generally more colorful. The males lack orange sides and their fins are usually a faint blue to red.

Would lfs have male and females? Or do you have to get them from a private breeder?

Back
Top Bottom